• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What if the SHTF and I'm 12 hours from home????

I guess that depends on which cop pulls you over.

Same advice applies.
That could turn your good day into a bad one really quick depending on which LEO pulls you over.

That applies to anything. If a cop wants to take you to jail, he can. period. we've all seen it.
accroding to this:
http://toool.us/laws.html
[Broken External Image]:
toool.us_images_usa_law_map.png

they have to show intent and having the tools doesnt break any law.

Georgia Code - § 16-7-20(a) A person commits the offense of possession of tools for the commission of crime when he has in his possession any tool, explosive, or other device commonly used in the commission of burglary, theft, or other crime with the intent to make use thereof in the commission of a crime.

just sayin.

Last edited:
That applies to anything. If a cop wants to take you to jail, he can. period. we've all seen it.
accroding to this:
http://toool.us/laws.html
[Broken External Image]:

they have to show intent and having the tools doesnt break any law.

just sayin.

All true, but with picks, bolt cutters and the like in 1 place, most would argue intent (or probable cause) is not a stretch.
We have all heard the stories about people being arrested, held and eventually released (or charges dropped) due to improper procedure... If this happens to you, it might make you re-think the importance of these particular items.
If I already have a vehicle, I dont need bolt cutters. A vehicle is a pretty stout ramming device that can get you through most doors.
:)

I think the OP would be able to get home without these things in the vehicle at all times.

Last edited:
All true, but with picks, bolt cutters and the like in 1 place, most would argue intent (or probable cause) is not a stretch.
We have all heard the stories about people being arrested, held and eventually released (or charges dropped) due to improper procedure... If this happens to you, it might make you re-think the importance of these particular items.
If I already have a vehicle, I dont need bolt cutters. A vehicle is a pretty stout ramming device that can get you through most doors.
:)

I think the OP would be able to get home without these things in the vehicle at all times.

Think what you want, thats okay. I have a strong hunch that if SHTF in a bad way, my lock picks and the associated skills could easily be life savers. Besides. If a cop is ever going though my wallet and finds my lock picks, I have more problems then the lock picks.

I guess that depends on which cop pulls you over.

Same advice applies.
That could turn your good day into a bad one really quick depending on which LEO pulls you over.
It doesn't matter my rights don't change because of what cop it is. Beside's my tools are in my toolbox, out of sight out of mind. I give no reason for a cop to bother me anyways, I think I have got 2 speeding tickets in 15 years. Beside it's up to the cop to prove I commited a crime not up to me to prove I didnt, if all he has are tools that are in a tool box that he can't open without a warrent he really don't have much to go on.

Be careful, those tools are also considered "burglary tools" by most LEO's, and could get you locked up before the disaster even happens!
Bull ****.

Get caught leaving a scene or lurking around homes with them close and ready for use may be. But you cannot be locked up simply for having tools.

Bull ****.

Get caught leaving a scene or lurking around homes with them close and ready for use may be. But you cannot be locked up simply for having tools.

http://www.criminaldefenselawyer.com/crime-penalties/federal/Burglarly.htm

Georgia.....
"Burglary and possession of burglary tools are punishable by one to five years in prison."

Or this...
http://www.criminaldefenselawyer.com/resources/burglary-and-home-invasions-georgia.htm
"Burglary Tools
In Georgia, it is also a crime to possess any tool, explosive, or other object normally used in the commission of burglary, theft, or some other crime with the intent to use the tool to commit a crime. So, a locksmith who owns lock picks has not committed a crime, but a person who has a lock pick in order to break into someone’s house and steal things could be convicted of possession of burglary tools. (Ga. Code Ann. § 16-7-20.) For more information on how even everyday items can become burglar’s tools, see Burglary Tools."

Who gets to decide intent?
Police, than the courts will sort it out, that is how you have a bad day like I described.

It doesn't matter my rights don't change because of what cop it is. Beside's my tools are in my toolbox, out of sight out of mind. I give no reason for a cop to bother me anyways, I think I have got 2 speeding tickets in 15 years. Beside it's up to the cop to prove I commited a crime not up to me to prove I didnt, if all he has are tools that are in a tool box that he can't open without a warrent he really don't have much to go on.

No your rights dont change, but depending on the cop, he may decide you are up to no good, find a reason to search your vehicle, find the bolt cutters and lock you in a cell for possession of burglary tools. The court may find you innocent, or the DA may drop the charges, but you still missed dinner, and possibly work the next day.
THAT is my point. All it takes is the wrong cop and BAM, lawyer fees, lost work, an so on, even though you had no intent to burglarize anyone. That is how our legal system works.

http://www.criminaldefenselawyer.com/crime-penalties/federal/Burglarly.htm

Georgia.....
"Burglary and possession of burglary tools are punishable by one to five years in prison."

Or this...
http://www.criminaldefenselawyer.com/resources/burglary-and-home-invasions-georgia.htm
"Burglary Tools
In Georgia, it is also a crime to possess any tool, explosive, or other object normally used in the commission of burglary, theft, or some other crime with the intent to use the tool to commit a crime. So, a locksmith who owns lock picks has not committed a crime, but a person who has a lock pick in order to break into someone’s house and steal things could be convicted of possession of burglary tools. (Ga. Code Ann. § 16-7-20.) For more information on how even everyday items can become burglar’s tools, see Burglary Tools."

Who gets to decide intent?
Police, than the courts will sort it out, that is how you have a bad day like I described.
As I did that for 14 years and I am VERY familiar with the law, and the associated case law, I can tel you that unless the officer wanted to find a new job, he had better have something more than mere possession to make a case.

As I did that for 14 years and I am VERY familiar with the law, and the associated case law, I can tel you that unless the officer wanted to find a new job, he had better have something more than mere possession to make a case.

10-4, I hope your right.
I figured the OP might not want to experience the ole "you ain't from around here" mentality of catch and release, that happens in some smaller towns in the US. It seems to be more common these days than 10 years ago.
I still stand by my statement that a car can open more doors than a bolt cutter though!
Lets just hope we never have to use our GHB's or Bug out Bags anytime soon.

Back
Top Bottom