• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What if the SHTF and I'm 12 hours from home????

I've been pulled over and even have a friend who was arrested (long story but the database said He didn't have a license because a county failed to report his ticket as paid 6 months earlier) while in possession on them on his person.

Hell he even asked my friend when they pulled into the jail: "you don't have any other knives, or lock picks or anything so you."

He said said "yeah I have 2 little picks in my wallet behind my license."

His response?
"yeah those aren't a big deal. We will make sure you get them back"

So again. Seems like you're making it a bigger deal than it is. Especially the bogota's.

They are about the size of 3 toothpicks in a bundle. If a cop is finding those on you, you already ****ed up.

Getting back home during a declared emergency may be complicated by the fact that more and more governments seem interested in using roadblocks and checkpoints to deny citizens freedom of travel. They see police roadblocks , or just pulling over any cars they see with an out of state or out-of-county license plate as a tool in their toolbox.

They certainly can't (legally) do this during normal conditions-- it would be blatantly illegal. But Congress and all the different state legislatures have passed laws giving the executives (governor, county chairman, mayor) and law-enforcement agencies broad powers to basically declare martial law during times of crisis. At that point, there's probably nothing they could do that would be against the statutory law.
The only question is whether it would be against the constitution, which would not be decided until some court case works its way through the system years later.

Traveling in your war-wagon with a bunch of weapons in survival gear could be problematic if you encounter a law enforcement checkpoint in some jurisdictions the local government may band gun and ammunition possession and they will confiscate all your guns that you were traveling with they may also seize your food & other survival gear if the gov't has invoked the standard emergency power doctrine that says the government can confiscate private personal property and supplies that are needed. The gov't would say your case of canned food, your bags of rice, your emergency generator or even your chainsaw , are all "critically needed supplies" that must be shared --not selfishly kept by the individuals that bought them, paid for them, and maintained them up to now.

Bottom line: Traveling in a motor vehicle on the public roads during a national or regional crisis may be more hazardous today than it was a generation ago.
Because the government is assuming and acting like it has the power to stop and detain you for simply using the roads and tell you where you're allowed to travel, and where you're not.

I won't get far nuff from home base to worry about it, got NG uniform handy if barricades set up and can walk home from town if need be. Car has AR, 9mm pistol water, mre, first aid kit, boots, socks, A backpack full of stuffs.

People should also be mindful of the "civil asset forfeiture" laws and how they are being abused.

I wouldn't carry large amounts of cash or any other valuables.

And under no circumstance, ever grant any LEO permission to search your car. You know there's nothing in there. Don't give them the chance to plant something.

And, as offensive as some political / law enforcement actions might be, don't escalate the situation at roadside. In fact, focus on de-escalating.

If you wind up in the pokey in the current political and social circumstance, help may be a long time coming. Your friends and relatives will have trouble moving. Hearings will be scheduled at a slower pace. Bail will be harder to post. A lawyer may be harder to retain. A public defender might not get to you for a long time. You may get exposed to sick people, with no ability to keep your distance. The guards may have a reduced presence, and order in a jail might be more tenuous.

There's never a good time to be in jail. Right now is a far worse time.

This conversation reminds me of all the discussions leading up to Y2K... You can almost hear some people looking forward to this, imagining the day that their decades of paranoia, fear and mistrust, not to mention all the hoarding of supplies and prep time, will finally let them live out their end of days fantasies...

And like Y2k... people will wake up after the event never came to pass, and be like, "F&$%... now I have 7 years of crappy MRE's I have to eat..."... LOL

This conversation reminds me of all the discussions leading up to Y2K... You can almost hear some people looking forward to this, imagining the day that their decades of paranoia, fear and mistrust, not to mention all the hoarding of supplies and prep time, will finally let them live out their end of days fantasies...

And like Y2k... people will wake up after the event never came to pass, and be like, "F&$%... now I have 7 years of crappy MRE's I have to eat..."... LOL

Had 50 chickens in the freezer for Y2K and a generator installed to keep them frozen.
And we ate every damn one of them 5 dollar chickens that next year, lol.
Barely had a power outage in the last 20 years, but I did get to use the generator a couple of times...
I'd put 50 of those $5 chickens in the freezer right now, if I knew where to find them. :becky:

Back
Top Bottom