• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What if the SHTF and I'm 12 hours from home????

**Edit, never mind, I think you are the same Titan from that "other board" and one of the reasons I left and came here. You will argue that the sky is blue and the grass is green and I'm not up for it today **

I honestly have no idea what other board you are speaking of. Unless you are talking about mmo-champion.com, I am a huge nerd and enjoy trolling those liberal morons, then I don't know. Not a member of any other forums.

LOL. You're one of those guys who has to have a bow made by NASA to feel equal to the deer ain't ya? This says it's a 35 lb bow and if it is it's more than adequate to hunt food with if the world falls apart. As for all the nocks, sights, gadgets, releases, ets. They are inventions to separate you from your money. Native Americans hunted deer with whittled sticks and tendons and survived. Every culture from ancient China to the Huns, to the English used primitive bows and thrived. But we are incapable of killing game without high tech graphite composite bows with the fiber optic multi pin sights, alignment marks to make sure we get our arrows seated properly on the strings, stabilizers, and dual cams. Makes me wonder how in hell we survived THIS long. LOL.

When I was in 8th grade we had archery class. We used simple fiberglass bows with a molded hand grip which doubled as an arrow rest. We practiced and we hit the target. Simple as that. I'm not 51 years old. I have a longbow (more novelty that for hunting), a Bear recurve which I would take to the woods any day of the week if need presented, and a Matthews Mission Menace, which I bought primarily because of it's weight, price and most importantly the ability to draw it without a release. The draw length is adjustable to perfect for me. The whole goal of a survival bow is to be able to get game without having to bury yourself in on site prep with releases etc and to be able to hunt on the fly. All those "Pro shop" bow setups are for vanity, not hunting.

You are the rare exception.

At least you seem to know your way around a bow.

I bet 95% of people who buy that thing have never held a recurve.

Do go and hunt with it though. I would like to see what you think. I have a friend from work who is a very experienced recurve hunter. I have discussed these things with him at length. You have to be real close (compared to a compound,) and you have to know what you are doing. And-most importantly, you have to practice a LOT to be able to make ethical shots at deer.

I do, must take issue with one thing. A 35 lb recurve may kill a deer if it hits just right-with the right broadhead, assuming that it passes cleanly between the ribs. But even the cheapest compound will deliver twice or more the power, bust a rib if it needs to, and deliver at least a 30 yard range. A crappy little recurve maybe be cool to avoid starvation, but I have a whole lot of things on my list above something like that.

what an offensive and racist thing to say!
YOU RACIST!

img.memecdn.com_i_amp_039_m_not_racist_o_1465621.jpg

You are the rare exception.

At least you seem to know your way around a bow.

I bet 95% of people who buy that thing have never held a recurve.

Do go and hunt with it though. I would like to see what you think. I have a friend from work who is a very experienced recurve hunter. I have discussed these things with him at length. You have to be real close (compared to a compound,) and you have to know what you are doing. And-most importantly, you have to practice a LOT to be able to make ethical shots at deer.

I do, must take issue with one thing. A 35 lb recurve may kill a deer if it hits just right-with the right broadhead, assuming that it passes cleanly between the ribs. But even the cheapest compound will deliver twice or more the power, bust a rib if it needs to, and deliver at least a 30 yard range. A crappy little recurve maybe be cool to avoid starvation, but I have a whole lot of things on my list above something like that.

Just my .02, in a survival situation it seems the easiest animal would be small game. The bow listed is more than adequate for this. When I was a kid we would cut a sapling and use masons string as a bow string. We would use small limbs as arrows and pieces of glass as arrowheads. We killed many a squirrel in the woods around our house. If 10 year old boys can do this, I think a grown man that has practiced with the bow posted could as well.

Oh, and. If your truck isn't 4x4, consider trading it up.

Also I read that you may be on rural roads a lot. I would check that spare tire and make sure it is fullsize. Rotate it out with your other 4. Consider a rear swing away tire carrier so you can actually get to the thing if you are in deep mud.

Start reading lots of 4x4 magazines if you don't. They are kings of trail repairs and armor.

I would talk to my tire guy about treating the tires with puncture sealer. Like that goo stuff.

I would also carry about 6 cans of the truck/off road fix-a-flat, tire patch kit, and an air compressor.

That truck is what is going to get you home or wherever you are going in 99.999% of shtf situations.

It's really only an EMP that will knock it out.
I'm pretty anal about maintenance on my vehicle, I have already put a small lift on it, increased the tire size and load capacity of the tires, added extra fog/driving lights for off-road, Leer camper with built in ladder rack, bed-slide, pack-rat lockable 39"x48"x8" tool box (which alleviates the potential for theft of get home supplies, ammo, etc.). It is a four wheel drive cummins turbo diesel and it definitely has a full size spare. this thread has definitley pointed out a lot of 'other' things that I need to start taking with me. Thanks for the info!

Back
Top Bottom