• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What can be done about this rust?

Unless my eyes have gotten really bad, worse......that Blackhawk has been chromed.
I was thinking nickle, but you probably correct. That same method will remove the rust from the chrome also. It will probably take the chrome too, but the actual metal wont get scratched or gouged using brass and oil.
It was an old way of doing it, has worked for me and my dad for many decades. YMMV

I'd guess more people did plating in the 60's and 70's since bsck then you didn’t worry about a FEMA SWAT team knockibg down your fence if you dumped waste chemicals in your back yard.

I was thinking nickle, but you probably correct. That same method will remove the rust from the chrome also. It will probably take the chrome too, but the actual metal wont get scratched or gouged using brass and oil.
It was an old way of doing it, has worked for me and my dad for many decades. YMMV
I use a pre '82 penny with sharp rims and lightweight oil. The rims wear out quick so have a few on hand.

Well as I said earlier, my stepfather has owned this gun since the very early 70s. Changing finishes wasn't nearly as easy back then. And I just assumed these grips were factory mostly because... who would buy them after the fact ?
If someone wanted a shiny "BBQ Gun", I guess they would have finished it off with pearl grips. You can look up manufacturing dates here:

https://ruger.com/dataProcess/serialHistory/

Sent from my SM-G781U1 using Tapatalk

My dad picked up a S&W 38 back in the mid seventies with pearl grips for CHEAP. Dad added some on hand wood grips after purchase and showed it to him later on. Man selling it said it was so cheap cause nobody wanted a gun with pearl grips. He had no idea the grips could be swapped out....

If someone wanted a shiny "BBQ Gun", I guess they would have finished it off with pearl grips. You can look up manufacturing dates here:

https://ruger.com/dataProcess/serialHistory/

Sent from my SM-G781U1 using Tapatalk
That's cool. My thing is I know for certain my stepfather didn't modify this one. Much like me he most likely assumed this was a factory offering. It's still pretty cool for it's age and what it is. Better yet it won't be long before it's mine.:becky:

My dad picked up a S&W 38 back in the mid seventies with pearl grips for CHEAP. Dad added some on hand wood grips after purchase and showed it to him later on. Man selling it said it was so cheap cause nobody wanted a gun with pearl grips. He had no idea the grips could be swapped out....
Yeah pearly grips were definitely some early/mid 70s add ons.

A few years ago I bought a mini 14 with a similar issue. I was able the clean off the corrosion with white vinegar and fine steel wool and a soft metal brush.

Back
Top Bottom