• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What can be done about this rust?

Not chrome more likely nickel finished or plated. If you pay for a factory letter and it was plated by Ruger, it's somewhat rare.

Stainless would be my guess. Stainless will rust and pit . Its not really that much of a rare gun. In its condition I'd refinish by Cerakote. But I would run the numbers to see exactly what you have.

Looks like a poor plating job.
Personally I'd strip the entire thing down and completely refinish every individual part. Would take less time for me than trying to put band-aids on all the boo boos.

Unless it's something extremely rare or historic once an original finish has pitting and rust on it ain't gonna be worth more than a good refinish.

Looks like a poor plating job.
Personally I'd strip the entire thing down and completely refinish every individual part. Would take less time for me than trying to put band-aids on all the boo boos.

Unless it's something extremely rare or historic once an original finish has pitting and rust on it ain't gonna be worth more than a good refinish.
That's what I think too. I learned a long time ago to never say never, especially about Ruger. It might be a factory applied finish and there was a plating company right across the street so it's possible it was sub'd out as a special order, but that won't be known without research. Too much trouble for a thin market item in my opinion. I'd just send it to you for refinishing.

Stainless would be my guess. Stainless will rust and pit . Its not really that much of a rare gun. In its condition I'd refinish by Cerakote. But I would run the numbers to see exactly what you have.

It’s a 3 screw gun. No stainless 3 screws I can recall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Ruger never made a stainless 3-screw. Also none that were nickel plated that I'm aware of. Like Fat Albert suggested, stripping and replating are the best options, assuming you want it nickeled. I would strip it and have it reblued.

Sent from my SM-G781U1 using Tapatalk

This is all good need to know info. I just assumed chroming/plating were ki9rare when this one was new. Plus given the grips I assumed this was a factory offering.

Ruger had stag grips available, but I've never heard of pearl.

Sent from my SM-G781U1 using Tapatalk
Well as I said earlier, my stepfather has owned this gun since the very early 70s. Changing finishes wasn't nearly as easy back then. And I just assumed these grips were factory mostly because... who would buy them after the fact ?

Well as I said earlier, my stepfather has owned this gun since the very early 70s. Changing finishes wasn't nearly as easy back then. And I just assumed these grips were factory mostly because... who would buy them after the fact ?
Loads of folks. Jay Scott sold tons, among others.

Back
Top Bottom