What about your pets?

LoneRevolver

Default rank <200 posts
Tracker
13   0
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone has thought about what would happen to there four legged family members in a survival situation? Has anyone made preperations for this? Extra food storage, training etc... I haven't done anything yet myself really. My dog doesn't bark PERIOD, he doesn't make any noise in fact other than the occasional headshake and flapping of his ears. He is extremely obedient and even responds to hand signals and quiet signals like whisles and finger snaps. So I think in most cases I could manage to keep him without risking giving away my position in an evasion situation. My lady friend even made him a leash out of paracord(I'll see if I can post pics, she made me a shoulder strap for my range bag too). Anyone else made this consideration?

I have taken both of my dogs into consideration. I have reserves for them as well.
I consider the dogs part of my SHTF preparations. With dogs barking you do have the
possibility that they could communicate location, but I think the value of an all-the-time
guard far outweighs the risk. Cats on the other hand are not even in the plan! They have
no value in my opinion.

Yep, that's my plan too.

That is the only plan that is realistic once hunger reaches that point. Your dog would be serving his master well. As for the kids, you tell them dinner is ready. Don't let them see the carcass. Once you taste it, tell them it is whatever it tastes like. It is inevitable.

Not a bad plan, but I don't know that I could explain that meal to my kids!

It's a cold cruel world by that point and time, and the last worry on my mind is the psychological effect it will have on the kids. I don't have any small kids to worry about anyway, and if things have gotten that bad, then I guarantee you the kids are hungry enough to eat Scooby burgers!

Last edited:
Wow...Hadn't really thought to much on this.....

To be honest my Brittany would for sure go with me, no matter what. But if society truly got to the point where we had to leave home for fear of our lives. I hate to say it but I would probably shoot my lab/wolf before I left, She is young (like 4) but has been hit at least 3 times before we got her according to the vet, and she has to work to get up standing and sometimes yelps cause it hurts her getting up. And she would not be able to fend for herself, so I hate to say it but if it came to it I would probably put her down before I left.

Man that would really be a depressing beginning to an already horrible situation.

:(

Back
Top Bottom