• I have to use my weak hand to hold my pants up when I shoot

Votes: 7 17.9%

• Total voters

nicaburns

Default rank <3500 posts Supporter
Empty Tomb Forge
245   0
Reaction score
I am traveling in Mississippi this week and met a co-worker who is trying to get his concealed carry permit. He was saying the hardest part is left-hand proficiency. Needless to say I am not in favor of having to prove you are skilled enough to exercise your rights but... I HAVE NEVER ATTEMPTED WEAK HAND SHOOTING!!
Do most of you guys practice this?

I personally feel it is both beneficial and a must to be able to shoot (at least point of aim accuracy) and ensure your pistol will cycle a full mag with one handed non dominant hand shooting drills (especially the subcompacts/mouseguns). We may not be able to assume proper shooting position with both hands in a life or death situation and possibly depending on circumstances may not even be able to shoot one handed with our dominant hand, leaving you to handle your business with your opposite hand. I would not want to find out at that moment whether or not I could effectively make shots that count as well as my gun not malfunctioning with stovepipe or the like. For that reason I also think you should carry a caliber you can effectively shoot one handed yet still remain accurate (again, at least to point of aim).

I have tested guns in this manner. Some have malfunctioned repeatedly with one handed opposite hand drills...those will NOT be a carry gun. In fact I get rid of those guns...me personally, this is my take on the matter

I have done drills with off-hand for decades. Dry-firing from that hand on a consistent basis for 90 days will bring good results if done properly. I present with the strong hand, pass to the weaker hand, follow-through the shot basics and then pass back to strong-hand and re-holster....repeat.
Another drill I used to do at the end of a range session is 1- strong hand only present and shoot re-holster 2- Strong hand present, two hand shoot 3-strong hand pass to weak and shoot.

Repeat without stopping at the slow enough pace to have good technique but get your hand coordination down pat. Then do while dry firing. Repeat, repeat, repeat.

ETA: years ago I purchased a couple of left hand (my off-side) holsters and started using them in training repetitions presenting and firing from the weak side. Used them for a few years and that drill really improved my shooting all around.

Last edited:
One example...I injured my shoulder on my dominant side working out about 2months ago. For three weeks I could not really move my left arm (I am left handed) at all. Def could not shoot or even draw with my left hand. If a situation arose during that time period I was left to my non dominant hand only for drawing and shooting. There can be countless examples of when/why you have to do "weak hand shooting" in real life

I practice with my left every time I go shooting. Practice aiming, shooting and mag changes with my left on a regular basis. I won't attempt a hostage shield shot with it but I can get center mass shots with no problem.

Back
Top Bottom