• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Clybel/Charlie Elliot Shooting Range??

I like the range, but it’s not for precision work. I’ve found the system isn’t very accurate, and the center of targets gets punched out quickly, and they aren’t replaced until the next day.

Definitely agree about the one RSO being a little too anal. He'll lighten up a bit after you talk to him a few minutes, and he sees you aren't going to be a typical "public range shooter". I try to remember that he has to deal with idiots on a regular basis and has to be/chooses to be overly cautious.

I've been to Clybel a few times now, and thought it was pretty cool. Shooting a rifle OUTside is ALWAYS better than an inside range. It's a nice place, clean, and well laid out.

The thing about the electronic system is you have to be there early, and be the first one to shoot on that lane.

I replaced the scope on my rifle Thursday afternoon, and went to Clybel to zero it yesterday morning. The only thing the aforementioned RSO asked, is that if my rifle wasn't already zeroed, please shoot the 25yd target to verify before taking a chance messing up the 100yd targets.

As far as the electronic scoring goes, if you're there when they open, and not shooting after the target has been used all day.......I believe it may be more accurate.

This was my 100yd target from yesterday, first thing in the morning, first guy on my lane.
(2 outliers are prior to adjustment at 100, the sort of "group" is after adjusting)
Using an old Ruger rifle with a plastic stock, and cheap Hornady American Whitetail 150gr .308 ammo. Definitely not something I'd consider "match grade" or "sniper quality", but acceptable for a general purpose rifle/deer rifle, and for me being no better shot than I am....
20231124_094337.jpg

I'd be interested to know if those of you that had group size issues were there later in the day after the targets had been used alot.

Wow, really? I was there 2 weeks ago zeroing a scope on a Marlin 336 and could not get consistent groups. I’d shoot a few, make some adjustments, and shoot a few more and get impacts in different locations from where I made my adjustments.

My base and rings were tight and the scope is a Leupold which are supposed to be okay scopes but it was just frustrating. I don’t think I’m some master benchrest shooter but it just felt like something was off. I had previously shot that rifle on paper at Wilson shoals and had grouped much better.

Also, watch out for the range guy with the screwdriver. He’ll start tapping it on your turrets and rings if he gets too close.
I had an RSO place a wet washcloth on my barrel at Elbert Co. Gun Club decades ago. He got butt hurt when I slung it past the firing line and cussed him like a rented dog. Unacceptable.

Went to Clybel again a couple weeks ago. The obnoxious RSOs ruined the experience again. Laughing at shooters, giving them “nicknames”, as if they were the only ones with electronic hearing protection. Just a couple of ignorant assholes.
Next time you hear them doing that ****…call them out. Loudly. Make a scene.
Those SOB’s are paid using your tax dollars and should be treated like an employee of yours…correct them just like that.
They only do what we let them get away with…ask for names and employee numbers…be obvious when you take their picture and let them know you will be sending in an evaluation of their performance to their supervisor.

Jennifer.pittman@dnr.ga.gov

I just spoke to a very nice lady at the Charlie Elliot wildlife center near the Clybel range.
She gave me the email above and said that a new guy was in charge now but he reported to Ms. Pittman above.
I think it would be good for the new guy “Thomas” to know what he is inheriting…and for Ms Pittman to hear what’s going on.

So rather than bitch here only let’s ask for changes.

Jennifer.pittman@dnr.ga.gov

I just spoke to a very nice lady at the Charlie Elliot wildlife center near the Clybel range.
She gave me the email above and said that a new guy was in charge now but he reported to Ms. Pittman above.
I think it would be good for the new guy “Thomas” to know what he is inheriting…and for Ms Pittman to hear what’s going on.

So rather than bitch here only let’s ask for changes.
Agreed. As stated early, I for one will not put up with that BS.

Back
Top Bottom