• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

wanting to start reloading what equipment to buy

Your budget is going to limit your choices but that isn't necessarily a bad thing. Start off small and work your way to something bigger once you learn what you need/want.

- Buy a good reloading manual or three
- Given the current environment, pay attention to the load data (in the reloading books above) for the calibers you will be reloading. Have that data with you when you go shopping for components (powder, primers, bullets) to see if you can find any combinations that will work for you
- Try to find a good, used, single stage press
- If you buy used dies, make sure they are clean and well kept. Otherwise, buy new

Hope this helps!

Last edited:
I wouldn't care to spend more just don't want to dive head first into something that I'm not sure that I am going to enjoy doing.

I suggest getting a deal packaged from a manufacturer such as the Rock Chucker Supreme kit. They appear to be hard to come by now, but you will have everything to start but dies, components, and calipers.

Watch amazon and midway. I was able to get a Lee Breech Lock Challenger set and a Lee Pro 1000 progressive. I only got the 1000 because it was set up to do .40 and I could not find any .40 dies. I was at TruPrep in Roswell last Friday and they has a Breech Lock set for sale. Not sure of the price, but everything else I bought was at normal prices.

Now, if I can only find some small pistol primers.

If I were to get into reloading now I think I would wait to buy any thing until the availability of components comes back and see where the prices settle. It may be that new or retail reloads could prove to be as cheap as rolling your own for general shooting. For hunting loads, now that's a different story.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom