• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

wanting to start reloading what equipment to buy

Deaken

Default rank <3500 posts
ODT Junkie!
51   0
Reaction score
Whats up guys, I've never reloaded nor have I ever been around anyone that has. I've read online and watched several vidoes on YouTube about it. What would you guys recommend to someone starting out doing this? and should I use a classic press or a progressive or ?????? Thanks in advance

Pick up a lyman 49 book read the whole thing til you get to the load data. I did that before I even looked at presses.

Ive been reloading a while now and I read the whole front again recently just to keep it all fresh in my memory.

I started with a Lee turret 4 hole press, which can be used as intended or as a single stage press and can do anything I care to load. Many brands out there and rarely do I hear a complaint about any of the major ones.
Recommend the lee dies too, they have never given me a problem and are cost effective.

Start with the 40 will be straightforward and less complicated than the rifle rounds you listed. Get a good book for reference- many people will point you to the abc's of reloading to get started.

Don't go hog wild, start with what you need for one caliber and go from there. Lot of helpful loaders on here

I got a package deal off here that had both type presses. I setup the single stage first and used that a long while. It get the techinque down. I setup the progessive for 38 special since that was I do a lot of.

All my rifle rounds get single press .270, 30-30, .243, 308, 22-250, 300win mag, and multiple others I do. and certain pistol rounds the 44mag and 500s&w get single stage.

I've heard that different powders/bullet combos will work better in each gun. Is this true and how do you know what to buy? will they just be inconsistent?

Starting out a single stage press is fine and your cost lower. As stated do some reading first. There is a sticky at the top for "new guys" as this question comes up every now and then.

Once you figure out what caliber/s you are reloading, post up a request for loads (powders and bullets) for the objective you determine and you will get some feedback.

What is your budget and how technically inclined are you? I started on a Dillon 650 and don't regret it at all.

Reloading is easy. You just need to be careful.

I just started loading myself and like stated before, read read and read. Get 2 or more loading books. Remember whatever book you buy is going to promote there own product so dont get intimidated. All presses are basically the same in 3 or 4 categories single stage, turret, or the auto progressive, then shot shell presses.
I started with the Lee classic 4 hole turret kit, for the price it can't be beat at avg of 200. The problem with starting reloading now is the components are hard to come by with all the panic buying. Get the books and read.

Back
Top Bottom