• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Value of a 1998 Harley Sportster Hugger?

When the 883's were first being sold, I remember Harley offering to buy them back at the price you paid if you'd step up to a bigger model.
That's hilarious considering most of the Sportsters end up with a small windscreen, soft bags, crash bars, a sissy bar with pillion pad, and a custom seat. People will buy an 883 or even a 1200 and try their absolute best to make it into a budget Softail and it never works.

AAC5BBDB-D0B2-42CE-BD65-12FA41636CCA.jpeg

BBF0D195-D66D-438D-95F6-A42A25F4B9F5.jpeg
34913590-1524-4530-A3B1-9B8ED1B3B1BB.jpeg
5DCC94AE-7694-4971-A642-5CB6E4B2320B.jpeg

List it for $3,500 and if you can find a cheap replacement turn signal go ahead and swap that out so that it doesnt give the buyer even more negotiating leverage. $3,500 is a fair starting point but I'd still be prepared for offers to come in closer to $2,500. You should be able to find the right buyer for around $2,800 and maybe even $3,000 if youre willing to wait. Looks like a good bike to start with and plenty of room to modify it to suit the new buyer. Those bars are awful though. lol

Three pics of the damage caused by dropping it on the right side.

I have not replaced the rear right turn signal, although I temporarily rigged something up using an amber clearance marker light --intended for a truck or trailer.

I did also put a tablespoon of two part epoxy over that rip in the vinyl passenger backrest so that it would be water resistant. However I do need to sand down or file down the high spots of that lump of hardened gray epoxy, and then touch-up paint it black.
0F77AB5A-B557-4C40-BDD8-08C02DBE8C78.jpeg
AB2E2721-8279-4212-8D66-F50A5C02F9B0.jpeg
D4D10310-9256-4FAC-A1E5-112CD6311B36.jpeg

View attachment 5707042

Well for some people these handlebars might take them back in time to a feeling they haven't had since they were six years old on their tricycle.
I honestly doubt your buyer will be above the age of 40 at the absolute most. Youre absolutely welcome to prove me wrong but I transport a few hundred bikes a year and I've never met a 50+ Sportster BUYER. I've picked up plenty of Sportsters from older guys that are making room in their garage but rarely ever am I taking them one. Beach bars are not a popular bar style on a Sportster. A softail? Sure maybe. A Roadking? Absolutely you'll find guys running beach bars on a Road King. An old sportster is going to get either drag bars or a more straight across bar with less rise and less bend.

Also if you look at my other post about "typical sportsters" this one fits it to a 'T'. It's black, has a sissy bar with pillion pad, it has soft bag brackets, it's got the little Softail visor over the headlight and the bars were replaced with a more "touring" friendly bar for comfort. This bike is a textbook example of someone trying to build a budget softail.

Three pics of the damage caused by dropping it on the right side.

I have not replaced the rear right turn signal, although I temporarily rigged something up using an amber clearance marker light --intended for a truck or trailer.

I did also put a tablespoon of two part epoxy over that rip in the vinyl passenger backrest so that it would be water resistant. However I do need to sand down or file down the high spots of that lump of hardened gray epoxy, and then touch-up paint it black.View attachment 5707033View attachment 5707034View attachment 5707035
After seeing that, it may be worth it to replace a few of those things to get top price, assuming you have parts in your garage or somewhere cheap.

Back
Top Bottom