• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Value of a 1998 Harley Sportster Hugger?

GAgunLAWbooklet

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
63   0
Reaction score
Two questions for the motorsports and Motorcycle enthusiast here:

1-- What websites should I check out to try to find used motorcycles for sale from the 1990's model years so that I can try to get a ballpark idea of what my friends 1998 Harley Davidson sportster 883XLH "Hugger" is worth?

I've looked at cycletrader and one other online resource, and all I found were ads from dealers asking $4000-$5000 for these 25+ year old motorcycles. I'm pretty sure their prices are unrealistic and not what I would expect selling it to another private individual who wants it, and is not planning on flipping it for a profit.

2-- What do you guys think it would be worth if I were to sell it on behalf of my friend maybe a month from now?

It's got 36,200 miles, has been owned by a total of three people for the last 20 years, but I don't know anything about its ownership from when it was new to when it was about six years old. I don't know anything about its maintenance prior to five years ago when my friend acquired it from the estate of his deceased friend, and my friend is a very mechanically minded guy who rebuilds his own car engines and fixes all sorts of small engines for lawn and landscaping equipment. My friend checked everything about it before he rode it, but he only ride it a few times a year. During his ownership of it he changed the front tire, the spark plugs and the air filter.

I just got the back tire changed because it was both bald and 20 years old the front tire is only five years old and looks nearly new this bike is not seeing a lot of miles in the last five years. But it's never been stored long-term, never abandoned in the barn or spent years untouched under a tarp in the backyard.

It's been used intermittently for years, and my friend rode it maybe five times last year.

I've personally put 500 miles on it over several trips during the last 4 weeks that he left it with me with instructions to ride it, enjoy it, fix up a few small things, and then sell it.

IT went down on its right side when my friend used it in heavy traffic in Atlanta year ago, as he locked both of the tires during emergency braking, and the bike dropped just a couple yards before it stopped. It scraped the handlebar and front brake reservoir, scuffed up the crash bar on the right corner, ripped off the rear right turn signal, and put a little scuff and rip on the upper right corner of the passenger's back rest.

(Pics available on request.)

This is the 883 engine size, not the 1200 ---although the guy at the motorcycle shop who just put a rear tire on it & test-drove it said that it felt torquey like a 1200 to him. He asked me if it had been bored-out or had the power increases through a "stage" upgrade. I said no--not as far as I know.

In for the answer. Had an early 90's one, always keep an eye out for one that needs a little work, but no idea what a fair price would be.

With the market flooded with them ,883, old been down, i would not give you more than 2.
just me .
I have a low rider and a chopper and they are paper weights, nobody is buying.
even when they were, I sold my West Cost Chopper I had listed on here for 16.
the Paint was 8

There is only one listing on CL that I could find. It is in Texas. they are asking $5900.

There is only one listing on CL that I could find. It is in Texas. they are asking $5900.

Very clean, it up that high because of the Barter section. My assumption,
2003 where so mass produced it was unreal for the Anniversary. Hell most of the guys I came back from the desert with went out and got one of them

The only way I would value cars or motorcycles in 2023 would be by looking at the "trader" sites like Auto or Cycle Trader, and Facebook marketplace. I wouldn't trust any of the KBB type sites to accurately track the market changes.

There are a few on FB Marketplace. A Sportster 883 that age will go to someone looking for nostalgia or someone looking for a deal for a first bike. Neither will be looking to spend a lot of money. Sportster 883's are the Harley version of a Ninja 300/400 or a Honda Rebel. It's a beginner bike that people buy, ride for a few months, maybe a year, throw some money at it for soft bags or other basic accessories then sell it to move up to a softail or a bagger. Sportsters are a dime a dozen, especially if they are black, and most have low miles and decent shape. If you list it for $3,500-4,000 expect every single offer to be around $2,000-2,500 and be ready to let it go for less than you're hoping.

Back
Top Bottom