• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Value of a 1998 Harley Sportster Hugger?

Also if you look at my other post about "typical sportsters" this one fits it to a 'T'. It's black, has a sissy bar with pillion pad, it has soft bag brackets, it's got the little Softail visor over the headlight and the bars were replaced with a more "touring" friendly bar for comfort. This bike is a textbook example of someone trying to build a budget softail.

And, it came with a windshield and some mounting hardware, but an incomplete set.

I have to decide if I want to try to mount that plexiglass windshield to the front of this bike like one of the prior owners wanted to do (or maybe had done in years past.)

For a rider who is only 5 feet to maybe 5' 8" tall, this bike could be the perfect multipurpose cruiser motorcycle ---light and maneuverable to run around town with, but with a windshield and saddlebags it could be tolerable (though not ideal) for longer rides on bigger roads where you're going over 60 miles an hour for long stretches. Where you'll want some storage to pack rain gear, or a change of clothes, a tool kit...

And, it came with a windshield and some mounting hardware, but an incomplete set.

I have to decide if I want to try to mount that plexiglass windshield to the front of this bike like one of the prior owners wanted to do (or maybe had done in years past.)

For a rider who is only 5 feet to maybe 5' 8" tall, this bike could be the perfect multipurpose cruiser motorcycle ---light and maneuverable to run around town with, but with a windshield and saddlebags it could be tolerable (though not ideal) for longer rides on bigger roads where you're going over 60 miles an hour for long stretches. Where you'll want some storage to pack rain gear, or a change of clothes, a tool kit...
That pretty much describes me. I had a sportster for years. I had a small child so long weekend excursions weren’t a thing. I mainly used it to commute and short trips to town etc or just to clear my head. I would have never just hopped on a bagged dresser to just run to town. At 50 mpg it did everything I wanted it to do and it was fun. I eventually converted it to 1212 and the mileage went down a little but the fun definitely increased.

I was younger and my gas tank and my body were good for about 100 miles.

Yep, mine has got 55, 53, and 56 m.p.g. for the last 3 tankfuls of gas. Sure, the fuel tank is small and only holds 3 gallons but honestly don't you want to stop and get off the bike every couple hours anyway?
(even if it's just a 10 minute pitstop to fuel up, hydrate--and pee?)

....most of the Sportsters end up with a small windscreen, soft bags, crash bars, a sissy bar with pillion pad, and a custom seat. People will buy an 883 or even a 1200 and try their absolute best to make it into a budget Softail and it never works.

Getting closer and closer every week!

24BBD85D-9EA9-4CD3-A2DD-18FDF583942B.jpeg
7354E076-87EE-48DA-9EF2-37DBABD25B4F.jpeg

I put 1,100 miles on this little bike
since I got it May 1.
I like it.
Now that it's got a windscreen, saddlebags, and a new rear tire...
... and I topped off the primary oil, and gave it an engine oil change with full synthetic 20W-50 made for v-twin bikes,

I'm thinking of taking it for an overnight multi-state trip somewhere around the Southeast.

(but one other maintenance item needs to be taken care of --it's slowly dripping brake fluid from the front master cylinder reservoir's cover, which was scraped badly during my friend spill last year.

Luckily the DOT -5 silicon-based stuff is not terribly dangerous and won't eat the paint off of the motorcycle if it splashes on the tank or the frame. (DOT 5 is not the caustic and corrosive other kind)

Being stock with lower miles is probably a bonus, but all the add-ons are not going to get you much. Everyone wants to make a bike their own and the aftermarket for Harley customization is endless.

With drop damage, you're realistically looking at $2500 tops. Unless someone just wants to keep it as-is and is into the windsheild etc. but, Not likely.

Well, it's time to sell this.
I prefer my wider, heavier Honda Shadow 1100.

If anyone's interested I will put an ad in the classified section shortly listing it for $2200.

PS it won't come with the saddlebags-- I'm switching those over to my Shadow.
but the Harley does have the support bars to keep the saddle bags off your fender & running gear.

Back
Top Bottom