• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

UPDATE Thinking about buying a used boat.

Okay, update.

Notice how I haven't posted anything about the new boat for a long time? There's a reason for that. I haven't had it. :mad:

The day after I got it I had an on site mechanic come out to address a couple of things. One of the issues turned out to be that the bearings needed to be replaced on the trailer and I decided to go ahead and replace all four tires. So he took the boat to his shop in Lula. Since he already had it, I decided to go ahead and have him rig it with the new sonar and trolling motor plus a few other add ons I wanted. I purchased them and met his wife in Gainesville to give them to her. This was on about June 12th.

To make a very long story short, I got jerked around for two months by these people culminating with me making an unwelcomed visit to there place night before last at 10:00pm to get my damn boat back. It wasn't a surprise visit, they knew I was coming, but they didn't have a choice and obviously didn't want me there.

When I got there the mechanic was working his ass off trying to get everything done in a panic because I was coming to get it. It was obvious that other than the bearings and new tires little or nothing had been done to the boat. It had just sat there for most of the two months while they BSed me about why there were delays and cut off communications with me randomly.

He tried to convince me it was almost ready and there were just a few issues that had popped up that he wanted to address before I took it. Obvious BS even as I stood there looking at the boat. I kept my cool and let him know I realized there was still a lot of work to be done, though I'm sure he knew I was irritated, to say the least.

I had the choice of taking the boat as it was and probably have stuff falling off it as I drove down the road or giving him one more chance and getting a for sure deadline of when it would be ready. I chose to give him another chance.

He committed to having it done by noon yesterday and meeting me at a ramp for a test run. I was somewhat surprised when he actually showed up (30 minutes late) and everything worked exactly as it should. I think he probably worked most of the night to get it done. The quality of his work is good, just getting him to do it is the problem.

There are still two non critical things that did not get done. He is waiting for a data cable he has on order for one of them and has committed to doing that work at my storage facility when it comes in. Maybe it happens, maybe not. I'm going to get someone else to do the other, but its not needed. Just a connivance.

I'm not going to post who this was on an open forum, but if anyone wants to know, PM me.

Had a nice bass boat, gave it away...................
Well, if you weren't using it.............

This one is going to get the hell used out of it and it's going to be maintained very well. Just not by this mechanic. LOL!

It's capable of doing anything I would want. Even a Bahamas run in good weather. A full tank gives me a 276 mile range. At the same time it's reasonably light weight and only drafts about 18 inches fully loaded, so it will do flats fishing nicely, too.

What I'll actually be doing with it is Lanier and salt water, inshore and nearshore. I have no intention of ever being out of sight of land, so this boat is a little overkill, but that means it will be safe and comfortable. Perfect.

Had a nice bass boat, gave it away...................
Me too. Couple years ago I had a nice boat but it had been sitting in the garage. Blue book was $6500. Needed batteries and service. Sold for $5500. Couple weeks ago I was looking at boats online and there it was. Asking $10600.

Me too. Couple years ago I had a nice boat but it had been sitting in the garage. Blue book was $6500. Needed batteries and service. Sold for $5500. Couple weeks ago I was looking at boats online and there it was. Asking $10600.
Had they done any improvements to it? With what I have done to mine, I'd be asking about 50% more than I paid for it if I sold it today.

No didn't SELL mine, I really GAVE IT AWAY............

Back
Top Bottom