• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

UPDATE Thinking about buying a used boat.

What did you have done to it?
Added $4000 worth of sonar/GPS and trolling motor. New tires and bearings. Some wiring repair. New bow running lights. New paint and decals for motor cowling. Two new rod holders. Adjust bunkers. New batteries for 24v trolling motor. New impeller. Forward pedestal seat. (pending) Move old sonar to bow. (pending) Complete detail, including cut and buff hull. (pending)

Me too. Couple years ago I had a nice boat but it had been sitting in the garage. Blue book was $6500. Needed batteries and service. Sold for $5500. Couple weeks ago I was looking at boats online and there it was. Asking $10600.
No the only thing I saw was they cleaned the carpet on front deck. Boat was in excellent condition when I sold it except for the outdated Lowrance systems. Black and white and that is what is still on it. Trolling batteries looked like the same that were in it. I do hope they serviced the impeller and foot oil. Oh well at least its not in my garage anymore. Just thought $10600 was steep.

No the only thing I saw was they cleaned the carpet on front deck. Boat was in excellent condition when I sold it except for the outdated Lowrance systems. Black and white and that is what is still on it. Trolling batteries looked like the same that were in it. I do hope they serviced the impeller and foot oil. Oh well at least its not in my garage anymore. Just thought $10600 was steep.
What the market will bear.

In the process of buying this boat I learned there are folks that make some pretty good extra money simply by buying boats in Florida, where the market is flooded, bringing them up here and selling them for a nice profit.

I shopped pretty hard around here and then looked there. I immediately saw a dramatic difference in price and quickly ended up getting a boat that was much more than my budget could get here. It was a long drive down and back, but I got about five grand more boat for my money.

IDK guys, I kinda like my boats if I used them enough. The key is to find a reliable package and shop for the best condition. Also, you MUST use them often enough that crap doesn't go bad, like batteries, fuel, etc. I have two driveways, no HOA, etc., so I store my boats on my property. That helps a lot!!! AND YES, If you're a once a month on the boat person, yes, rent it!!!

I bought my Carolina SKiff 19' w/115 yamaha used about 4 years ago. I've replaced a fuel pump ($35) and fuel line ($15) my entire ownership - more like preventative maintenance. Still running the same engine starting battery when I purchased the boat. Runs like a million bucks. Use it as often as I can at Lanier. Took it to Mexico Beach once.. It definitely does not like HUGE waves, but it isn't suppose to.

Was on Lanier yesterday, was swimming around the boat.....man, It drafts only 6-8" of water max.
43mph top speed, fish finder/gps, etc; 74 lb thrust trolling motor; lights for night fishing; bimini top (WHICH WAS NEEDED YESTERDAY ---SUPER HOT); ----awesome boat for the $$$$. I couldn't see spending 3x the amount for a Key West or similar. Nicer boats, but more than I want to spend.

I'd consider selling my Carolina Skiff. It is 100% reliable, great shape, etc. Only reason why i'd consider selling is I would upgrade to a 21 or 23 foot Carolina Skiff. This time I'd go new because it was a royal pain in the rear to find an excellent condition used boat. They are out there, but often times they are priced nearly as much as a new boat would cost.

Oh------ Also have an alumacraft for Chattahoochee River. 15 feet is perfect for the river! Great little boat and it also has a bimini top.

95gAtl 95gAtl Those Skiffs are great my brother had one. Loved it, Sold it like a dummy. I am strictly a kayaker these days. I had a jon boat - I would consider one again for the chatahoochee river. They make it easy to get to places quicky.

IDK guys, I kinda like my boats if I used them enough. The key is to find a reliable package and shop for the best condition. Also, you MUST use them often enough that crap doesn't go bad, like batteries, fuel, etc. I have two driveways, no HOA, etc., so I store my boats on my property. That helps a lot!!! AND YES, If you're a once a month on the boat person, yes, rent it!!!

I bought my Carolina SKiff 19' w/115 yamaha used about 4 years ago. I've replaced a fuel pump ($35) and fuel line ($15) my entire ownership - more like preventative maintenance. Still running the same engine starting battery when I purchased the boat. Runs like a million bucks. Use it as often as I can at Lanier. Took it to Mexico Beach once.. It definitely does not like HUGE waves, but it isn't suppose to.

Was on Lanier yesterday, was swimming around the boat.....man, It drafts only 6-8" of water max.
43mph top speed, fish finder/gps, etc; 74 lb thrust trolling motor; lights for night fishing; bimini top (WHICH WAS NEEDED YESTERDAY ---SUPER HOT); ----awesome boat for the $$$$. I couldn't see spending 3x the amount for a Key West or similar. Nicer boats, but more than I want to spend.

I'd consider selling my Carolina Skiff. It is 100% reliable, great shape, etc. Only reason why i'd consider selling is I would upgrade to a 21 or 23 foot Carolina Skiff. This time I'd go new because it was a royal pain in the rear to find an excellent condition used boat. They are out there, but often times they are priced nearly as much as a new boat would cost.

Oh------ Also have an alumacraft for Chattahoochee River. 15 feet is perfect for the river! Great little boat and it also has a bimini top.
I got a good deal on this boat, but did not compromise on what I wanted, and am putting substantial money into it right up front to get it exactly like I want it.

I want to fish it pretty much daily, but the reality is that I work so much I will probably take it out a couple of times a month and then one or two weeks on vacation every year. However, there is no way I would be satisfied with a rental. It just isn't going to be rigged the way I want. It would also be money down the drain for a rental. With this boat I'm ahead of the game right now. I could sell it for more than I have in it. I know that will change with time, but it's a very good place to start.

I was boat shopping last year for a Carolina Skiff. They are very popular down here on the coast. It was ridiculous what folks wanted for the used boats. I finally found a 2017 JVX 18 skiff that was new and didn't even have the motor mounted yet. Got a good deal on it and I've never look back. Last fall I bought a Stryker T-top for it. It's a great rig for fishing inshore around here. I'm contemplating selling my 23' Grady White walkaround and looking for a similar sized center console. The CC are easier to move around in and have a drier ride.

I don't think you can beat modern Carolina Skiffs for the money. The older ones had some quality issues and such, but I believe for the past 15 years or so they ironed most everything out.
It's a good lake boat, flat boat, and inshore/bay boat. Would I take my 19 footer out 10 miles on a questionable day, heck no! (others surely would). However, offshore in rougher weather is not what it was meant for.

I couldn't do a rental either. There are times I wanna go last minute or go and only stay for a couple of hours. That doesn't make sense for a rental. I have the Yamaha and it sips gas (most of the time) and is very reliable. Plus I don't have to pay to store it. Would I get a bigger one? Heck yes! Not sure which model, but bigger is better for me.

I don't do kayaks. Far too much effort paddling upstream....plus I take my 8 year old with me a lot.
Have you ever been on the river when the Dam releases?? Good gosh!!! Even with my 25hp, I feel a heck of a resistance. We've gone 6 miles upstream from McGinnis and about 6 miles downstream from the same place. No way I would paddle it. Guess if you are down lower, the current isn't bad. But i'm telling you, from the Dam to Abbots, there is some CURRENT. You better have a gas powered motor with at least 9.9hp or you won't be making much progress.

Back
Top Bottom