Unknowingly traded a stolen firearm

Status
Not open for further replies.
I traded the 1911 to November Sierra. I was not asking for the 1911 back. I later sold the gun to a friend who happens to be a police officer. He later pawned the gun . When he went to get the pawned gun back he was informed it had popped on the hotlist. I was contacted by a Jefferson police officer and told him where I obtained the gun. He told me he was turning all the info over to Augusta PD as that was where the reported theft took place. I called N.S. just to give him a heads up that they might contact him. Thanks.

I'm not sure half the people that replied to this read this from the '1911 guy'. The OP is no more guilty for buying the stolen gun than Robert Nash is for buying it from the OP. And who knows for sure that the Armslist guy hadn't bought it from someone else not knowing it was stolen? The chain of custody of the gun will be impossible to prove. I doubt the OP ever hears from any LEO.

I'm not sure half the people that replied to this read this from the '1911 guy'. The OP is no more guilty for buying the stolen gun than Robert Nash is for buying it from the OP. And who knows for sure that the Armslist guy hadn't bought it from someone else not knowing it was stolen? The chain of custody of the gun will be impossible to prove. I doubt the OP ever hears from any LEO.

Another reason for a BOS.

Not correct...

O.C.G.A. § 16-10-20 (Copy w/ Cite)
Pages: 1
O.C.G.A. § 16-10-20

GEORGIA CODE
Copyright 2014 by The State of Georgia
All rights reserved.

*** Current Through the 2014 Regular Session ***

TITLE 16. CRIMES AND OFFENSES
CHAPTER 10. OFFENSES AGAINST PUBLIC ADMINISTRATION
ARTICLE 2. OBSTRUCTION OF PUBLIC ADMINISTRATION AND RELATED OFFENSES

O.C.G.A. § 16-10-20 (2014)

§ 16-10-20. False statements and writings, concealment of facts, and fraudulent documents in matters within jurisdiction of state or political subdivisions

A person who knowingly and willfully falsifies, conceals, or covers up by any trick, scheme, or device a material fact; makes a false, fictitious, or fraudulent statement or representation; or makes or uses any false writing or document, knowing the same to contain any false, fictitious, or fraudulent statement or entry, in any matter within the jurisdiction of any department or agency of state government or of the government of any county, city, or other political subdivision of this state shall, upon conviction thereof, be punished by a fine of not more than $1,000.00 or by imprisonment for not less than one nor more than five years, or both.

This is why you answer the LEO question when pulled over for speeding. "Do you have a weapon in the car?" with. "I have nothing illegal" or " I am not going to answer that question."

Not correct...

O.C.G.A. § 16-10-20 (Copy w/ Cite)
Pages: 1
O.C.G.A. § 16-10-20

GEORGIA CODE
Copyright 2014 by The State of Georgia
All rights reserved.

*** Current Through the 2014 Regular Session ***

TITLE 16. CRIMES AND OFFENSES
CHAPTER 10. OFFENSES AGAINST PUBLIC ADMINISTRATION
ARTICLE 2. OBSTRUCTION OF PUBLIC ADMINISTRATION AND RELATED OFFENSES

O.C.G.A. § 16-10-20 (2014)

§ 16-10-20. False statements and writings, concealment of facts, and fraudulent documents in matters within jurisdiction of state or political subdivisions

A person who knowingly and willfully falsifies, conceals, or covers up by any trick, scheme, or device a material fact; makes a false, fictitious, or fraudulent statement or representation; or makes or uses any false writing or document, knowing the same to contain any false, fictitious, or fraudulent statement or entry, in any matter within the jurisdiction of any department or agency of state government or of the government of any county, city, or other political subdivision of this state shall, upon conviction thereof, be punished by a fine of not more than $1,000.00 or by imprisonment for not less than one nor more than five years, or both.

So you think this applies to someone not under oath? Please feel free to enlighten me with one...........ONE...........example of anyone going to jail for lying to State or Local law enforcement without being under oath. Or maybe you can provide an example of someone who commiitted a crime, lies about it during the course of an investigation, is arrested for the crime in question AND additionally is charged under this statute for lying.

Good luck in your search and I hope and pray you are not actually a sworn holder of the Public Trust, on the street or in the Courthouse enforcing the laws of this state.

Edited to add: If the statue could be applied as you assume LEOs, without a exemption, could also be arrested for lying to suspects during the course of an investigation. No Oath, Not A Federal Agent.......LEOs and Citizens can verbally spew lies to each other all they want without being arrested.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom