• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Ultimate 10/22 Supressor host... build it.

vinhtvu2

Default rank <2000 posts
ODT Junkie!
53   0
Reaction score
What would your ultimate 10/22 be like...?

I found an old metal receiver. Going to polish the receiver, and rebuild completely as my supressor host / plinker.

I will run mostly bulk ammo and subsonics through it... what barrel would you recommend?

I have the 18.5" heavy hammer forged stainless bull barrel on it now. I'm debating on selling it, then getting a Green Mountain 24" stainless fluted threaded bull barrel... or the 28"... which is probably overkill and might not work well with subsonics.

What's the difference between a fluted and a bull barrel? fluting only help with heat dissipation and weight right? Does it affect accuracy??

The stock barrel is already more accurate than I can be... but I figure it's probably easier to go ahead and buy an awesome new threaded barrel than to get mine threaded.

What about trigger group? I already have the 10/22 receiver, and it's sitting on a Charger stock. I like the way it look as is... but I'll swap in another stock if it's better for accuracy.

I have about $500 set aside to fund this build... go crazy.

Sell off the old barrel.
Buy a Whistle pig or tactical innovations barrel.
Kidd trigger group.
Buy a houge overmold stock
Buy Techsites

That should be right around $500 and will be a sweet gun

I found an old metal receiver. Going to polish the receiver, and rebuild completely as my supressor host / plinker.

I will run mostly bulk ammo and subsonics through it... what barrel would you recommend?

I have the 18.5" heavy hammer forged stainless bull barrel on it now. I'm debating on selling it, then getting a Green Mountain 24" stainless fluted threaded bull barrel... or the 28"... which is probably overkill and might not work well with subsonics.

What's the difference between a fluted and a bull barrel? fluting only help with heat dissipation and weight right? Does it affect accuracy??

The stock barrel is already more accurate than I can be... but I figure it's probably easier to go ahead and buy an awesome new threaded barrel than to get mine threaded.

What about trigger group? I already have the 10/22 receiver, and it's sitting on a Charger stock. I like the way it look as is... but I'll swap in another stock if it's better for accuracy.

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/index.php <---That will answer most of your questions

They make subsonic barrels. I'd go with the 18 inch for the best accuracy and compression
flutes make a barrel lighter and allow for better heat dissipation
The barrel everyone recommends is the KIDD barrel, GM barrels are the most cost effective

Good luck

Sell off the old barrel.
Buy a Whistle pig or tactical innovations barrel.
Kidd trigger group.
Buy a houge overmold stock
Buy Techsites

That should be right around $500 and will be a sweet gun

This is good advice except I would skip the KIDD trigger unless you want to do bench shooting. Either get TTShooter to do you a trigger job (if you have a metal trigger), or get a Hornet Products trigger group for about 1/2 the price. With the money you save, I would get the Thompson Machine Operative integrated suppressor. I have one, and it is stupid quiet. There is nothing else to compare to it, and the accuracy is exceptional.

Below is a Zimmerman Arms with the Thompson Machine Operative, and a 10/22 with a Hogue Overmold which I use as a suppressor host for my AAC Prodigy.

i203.photobucket.com_albums_aa225_lk125678_Zimmerman_1.jpg

i203.photobucket.com_albums_aa225_lk125678_10_22_NC3.jpg

Last edited:
if i were building mine over again. KIDD all the way. also 16" bbl. 22lr doesnt have enough gas to push it past that. you lose about 5 FPS per inch either way past 16"

Let me know if you want to sell the stainless hammer forged barrel. It would help me on my build.:p

I already got someone interested in the stainless heavy barrel for $120... I didn't know they're worth that much!! I got less than $200 in this Ruger... and saw the barrel alone is going for $180 on ebay!! Haha.

It does have a metal trigger, older style 10/22.

I'm going to order a fancy extended mag release first, since this thing is a joke on here.

The search for barrel is on.

If I'm shooting subsonics, or even standard velocity, dont I WANT a longer barrel so that it lose some velocity, so it'll be quieter?? So a 20 or 24" would be okay??

I dont care as much about quietness as accuracy though. I will have the Savage Mark II FVRS for ultra quiet plinking. This one will just be super fun brass slinger.

Back
Top Bottom