• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Travel type trailer as a 1 to 2 year living setup

rbstern

Hen of Fame Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
115   0
Reaction score
My son currently lives at home. He recently graduated from college. Landed his first job, working remotely for a firm up in CT. He's doing great. Getting paid a decent wage and benefits, liking his job, learning a lot, getting good feedback from his employer and the employer's clients about his performance.

The next logical step is him getting his own place. He's engaged. He and his fiancee have talked about renting a small house somewhere nearby; he's trying to avoid apartment living. Doesn't care to have neighbors that close. Problem is, rental home pickings are awful and overpriced relative to what they've been in recent years. They've talked about moving down towards Gainesville or up toward Anderson, where there are more choices, but the rentals are either very pricey, or the neighborhoods are iffy. We live in the sticks and have acreage. We've told him we'd carve off a piece of our property for a homesite for them, if they ever want to build here. They are open to that, but they are probably at least a few years away from being ready.

One of the ideas we've kicked around is a travel trailer, set up somewhere on the property, far enough away that they (and we) have privacy, but close enough that we could run water, internet, and electrical to them. I can dig and install a dedicated septic system; our county has stated they will permit an RV/electrical/septic setup that is not being rented out. We've also discused, in the same cleared space in the woods, a small shed converted to a dedicated office space for him, so he wouldn't have to live and work in the same 250 sq. ft. every day.

Considering what he'd spend on rent over a couple of years, he could probably get himself a nice travel trailer, sell it when he's done with it, and come out substantially ahead versus rent.

I've never bought or owned a camper / trailer, and need some practical education about them. Probably something 32' or longer, with an enclosed master and bathroom, kitchen, dinnett, and small living area. Looking for feedback on the pitfalls of both new and used. I understand depreciation on new ones is big. How maintenance intensive are used models? I have above average DIY skills. Are there brands that should be avoided altogether because of known quality issues?

If it is going to be stationary find a nice used 5th wheel and put it under a pole barn or something similar. Prevents roof leak issues etc. Used 5th wheels are also some of the most inexpensive RV's on the pre owned market. I have looked at using this set up at a permanent location as a vacation getaway. Keeping the roof under another roof I think is key to pretty maintenance free living.

Congrats to your son and his fiancee.

Love the pole barn idea. Maybe convert to rental property after they are done/moved away?

Good luck!

My brother had a travel trailer that he let a friend stay in for a few years when the man went through a divorce and was homeless.

Both my brother and this friend spent way too much time fixing leaks in the flat roof-- and eventually after it was unoccupied for a year my bro. went in and found that it was completely rotted out on the inside from leaking water.

So, I agree with the idea of parking it under a pole barn type structure with a roof that will keep the rainwater off of the vehicle's roof.

While a 5th wheel certainly is nice, it might be a little much for a newlywed couple with no kids...unless they just want a lot of space. I would strongly recommend pouring a concrete pad, both to aid in leveling and in protecting the trailer from rust and mildew and animal intrusion. Plus, it's just really nice to step out onto concrete. Bare minimum would be gravel and grading, though. If they are going to stay there for two years, it needs to feel like home.

As to power and water, that should be no problem...just think about the cost of cabling when you're talking about running a long shot of 30/50 amp cable...that can get expensive, really quick. As to internet, most coaches aren't set up to take Cat5 cable so you'll need a wifi option.

I've been RVing for almost a decade now and have put over 20k miles on my Class A in that time. I'm happy to answer any questions you have. About to load up and head to Savannah for a week and am itching to go!

While a 5th wheel certainly is nice, it might be a little much for a newlywed couple with no kids...unless they just want a lot of space. I would strongly recommend pouring a concrete pad, both to aid in leveling and in protecting the trailer from rust and mildew and animal intrusion. Plus, it's just really nice to step out onto concrete. Bare minimum would be gravel and grading, though. If they are going to stay there for two years, it needs to feel like home.

As to power and water, that should be no problem...just think about the cost of cabling when you're talking about running a long shot of 30/50 amp cable...that can get expensive, really quick. As to internet, most coaches aren't set up to take Cat5 cable so you'll need a wifi option.

I've been RVing for almost a decade now and have put over 20k miles on my Class A in that time. I'm happy to answer any questions you have. About to load up and head to Savannah for a week and am itching to go!

Probably would do a gravel pad, build a pole shed roof, and put a deck in place of the RV stairs.

I'd be doing the trenching for water, electricity and internet myself. Probably a fiber line, run right to the electrical post, and either an outdoor wifi access point, or mount a router in one of the storage spaces of the RV. It might actually be cheaper for me to have the local EMC to do the power run from our transformer, and put in a dedicated service with it's own meter. Details to be worked out.

When the potential expenses of all this are compared to a monthly single home rental, it doesn't seem so expensive.

Appreciate you relaying your experience.

Back
Top Bottom