Training Before Obtaining Carry Permit?

I used to teach the state mandated class for Concealed Pistol License applicants in Michigan. The law mandates that the NRA "Personal Protection In The Home" is the official course. At least it was when I was there. It might have changed to something else now.

So here's some random musings at 0400 about the issue.

1. The concealed carry law as it exists in Michigan was passed in 2000. Before that, every county and city could pass it's own regulations and you took a risk driving across the state that you wouldn't be pulled over and arrested with the gun that was licensed in your town.
2. To get the law in 2000 passed, compromises had to be made. The inclusion of the training requirement was one of those compromises.
3. It's expensive to get a CPL in Michigan.
"Such persons will enroll into a qualified Michigan Basic Pistol Safety Training Class ($150), pay the requisite CPL Application Fee ($105), purchase a suitable defensive handgun ($400 - $800), and acquire a litany of accessories (e.g. holster, practice and defensive ammunition, cleaning kit, and etc.) that can escalate the total "cost of entry" into this new lifestyle into a figure north of $1,000 with little effort."

Source "Ricks Firearms Academy" This is the Rick Ector who appears on NRA TV every now and then.
The class is usually 8-10 hrs long. It has to include an hour of discussion with an Attorney or someone certified in the use of Deadly Force. I knew instructors who'd hire a cop to come in and just read the law. Then when the questions were asked about the law, the instructor would answer them and the cop would go home.

You have to show proof that you took the course. You can do it the hard way and take the course and pass the test or you can find someone who will sell you a certificate of completion for a few bucks. There's a small black market for that. It's illegal but only if you get caught.

There's no real quality control for instructors. Hopefully, you get the entire 8 hour class you pay for.

The cost of the class + the cost of the license is a barrier to entry for a lot of people who live in the lower end of the income brackets.

A person who is a retired cop or a veteran should not be assumed to be knowledgeable in the safe handling of firearms. So many people spend their entire careers in the military without firing a gun more than the yearly qualification requirement. The same goes for cops. Cops I know don't practice if the City isn't paying the bill for the ammo and range time.
Making those two groups exempt splits the voter base. You'll have a block of people who don't give a darn about the issue once you put them into a special class of citizen because of an old job they had.

I've never sold a gun to someone (in a retail setting) who didn't want to learn how to shoot it. There are many places in the state where you can get training if you want it.

If I had a say in the matter, I'd say that we continue to leave it up to the individual to obtain the training they need and not make it mandatory in state law. Rick Ector charges $150 an hour because he spreads the cost of materials, range time and classroom rent between all of the people in his class. And because he's an NRA instructor who according to the Michigan State Law is qualified to teach.
But what if you had someone throw into the law that the only people who can teach the class you are required to take is someone who served in Army or Navy Special Forces.
Now you've really limited the number of available instructors and the price of the classes are going to go up too.

I firmly believe that the training requirement in Michigan was put there to delay or prevent peoples ability to obtain a CPL. Someone who could afford the license and the gun may not be able to take the time off from work and pay for the class. And since Michigan anti-gun laws were almost all written during Jim Crow, I'll give you three guesses who that's going to affect.

Anyway, glad to answer any questions if you have any.
i would take a class if 2nd amendment said i had too.

my point is anyone can have anyone brought up on treason charges as long as their is 2 witness' to the act. it dosn't take congress to have them arrested.

I remember a story about a guy that tried to drive up to Tennessee and do a citizens arrest on some politician and get arrested crossing the state line because he made a giant stink about what he was going to do on social media. If you don't remember that you should look into it. Didn't work out well for him if I remember correctly. Not the same guy are you? :)

just learn your constitution & case laws that proves your case people every where are starting to see the truth. & sorry it's not a citizens arrest & like i said you have to live in that county & present the proof of treason to the sherif of your county, thats how it work but all you people want to do is try to make me look ignorant because you believe the lie & are too busy working & seeking entertainment & just don't care. so just fall in line with the rest of the slaves.
The oath of office,

too, imposed by the Legislature, is completely demonstrative of the legislative opinion on this subject. It is in these words:

"I do solemnly swear that I will administer justice without respect to persons, and do equal right to the poor and to the rich; and that I will faithfully and impartially discharge all the duties incumbent on me as according to the best of my abilities and understanding, agreeably to the Constitution and laws of the United States."

"Why does a judge swear to discharge his duties agreeably to the Constitution of the United States if that Constitution forms no rule for his government? if it is closed upon him and cannot be inspected by him?

If such be the real state of things, this is worse than solemn mockery. To prescribe or to take this oath becomes equally a crime.

It is also not entirely unworthy of observation that, in declaring what shall be the supreme law of the land, the Constitution itself is first mentioned, and not the laws of the United States generally, but those only which shall be made in pursuance of the Constitution, have that rank.

Thus, the particular phraseology of the Constitution of the United States confirms and strengthens the principle, supposed to be essential to all written Constitutions, that a law repugnant to the Constitution is void, and that courts, as well as other departments, are bound by that instrument.

The rule must be discharged.” Supreme Court Chief Justice John Marshall

Yet they don’t want to here it or believe it, even if you post fact’s & proof of where the facts came from they are hateful & make fun of the truth as they delight in the illusion of the false hood of their belief’s. maybe it’s just laziness or even stupidity when they don’t read the post completely or understand.

I'm bumping this thread because on a thread about choosing the "perfect" carry pistol, the last few pages have migrated to the value of training and then to proposals for mandatory training to get a weapons carry permit. Here's my current take on mandatory training:

** EDITED down, my prior post was too long **

1.) I think it would have value and make our state safer. Whether the degree of enhanced safety is "worth it" when we're putting up another obstacle people have to clear in order to legally carry is something to consider, though. That's more of a public policy choice than a matter of constitutional law, though.

2.) Because some people don't think they need a carry permit until they're suddenly faced with a stalker, threatening ex-lover, or a serial killer or serial rapist on the prowl in their neighborhood, I think people should be able to get a temporary carry permit FIRST, and FAST (within 24 hours; with either no training or maybe just watching a 30-minute video online from any computer anywhere with internet access (including the public library) and then answering some questions to prove you were paying attention).

BUT THEN, they should have to get the full GWL as we know it, with a 3-page application, fingerprint-based background check (the temp license could be issued with just a criminal history check based on name, DOB, and SSN). That "full GWL" could be the one that requires completion of a more substantive training class that might involve hands-on demonstrations of safe and competent gun carry, aiming, and firing.

3.) Finally, I suggest that anybody above a certain age or anybody who will self-certify as having a physical disability that interferes with aiming and firing a handgun with great accuracy can be excused from having to PASS (with some minimum score) the shooting test, BUT they'll still have to take it and do the best they can. If they can only get 30% of the perfect score for the qualification, due to their disability or age, FINE, let them obtain their carry permit anyway, but at least by having taken the test and seen their dismal score they will be FACED with the REALITY that, at this time, they're not very good. They will be less likely to over-estimate their gun-handling abilities and take a risky shot that might endanger innocents, if they know that they can barely hit a barn door at 5 yards.

download (10).jpeg

I would not have a "one size fits all" qualification shoot, demanding that young, fit, athletic people achieve the same score or do all the same movements (kneeling, ducking behind barricades, drawing from concealment) as I'd require for old folks and people with disabilities.

What's reasonable for this kind of person:

shooting class-young fit.jpg

Would not be reasonable to expect of this grandma:

grandma wheelchair gun.jpg

And even an old lady with (I assume) a lot of physical issues can still
use a handgun effectively when an attacker is climbing in her window
or has just kicked-in her door and is coming at her from just several
feet of distance.

I think classes in basic gun safety, responsibility, and law should be taught in school.

However I am apposed to mandatory classes for a permit. Too much room for the “next” group of leaders to impose their will on 2A people.
They’ve already stated they would be willing to go after ammo, manufacturers, acccesories and pretty much anything associated with anything gun related.
I don’t want to give them another avenue to restrict rights.

I agree that in theory, any training requirement could be used as a backdoor assault on weapons carry by government officials who want to discourage armed citizens.

But, in REAL-LIFE, has that ever been their approach anywhere? As contrasted to just flat-out making certain guns illegal based on their characteristics, or making certain people ineligible to own a gun, or requiring a more thorough background check (adding personal and work references, etc?)

New York State is about as anti-gun as you can imagine. They don't recognize individual self-defense against crime as a legit reason to have a handgun permit (unless you've already been the subject of confirmed death threats or face extra-high odds of being robbed or kidnapped because of your job or the political offices you hold). They banned assault type semi-autos almost 30 years ago. They tried to limit all magazines to 7 rounds, which the courts threw out and said you could have up to 10, but no higher than that. New York State's governor is a gun-hating Stalinist who led the campaign for states to sue gun companies for the costs associated with gun crime and treating gunshot victims...

... and yet New York State's mandatory training requirement is not much more involved that Georgia's hunter safety course. It's short and simple. It doesn't even require shooting a real gun at a range; it could be done with prop guns, dummies whose actions can be opened and triggers manipulated like real guns, or BB/ pellet pistols, or AirSoft guns. There is a hands-on component, but it could be done in an office environment, even a suite at the local mall.

Does anybody know of any state, or nation, that has made unreasonable changes to the standards for a carry permit qualification test as a backdoor method of infringing on the carry rights of otherwise-qualified people?

Back
Top Bottom