• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Tonight's AR15 project

yeah yeah yeah.....

Side note/ hwo do you know so much about the AR platform?
I'm OCD. ;) Not really, but my wife says I am.

All kidding aside, I've been messing around with them for 10+ years and a gun nut since I was old enough to walk. Growing up in the 80's, the AR was the ultimate "American" gun. When I first got into ARs, I spent alot of time learning about the platform. Also got certified as an armorer a couple of years ago. Mostly, I've learned from people that know alot more than I do. I've built alot of guns for myself, friends and friends of friends, a few referral builds for complete strangers and a ton of troubleshooting for folks over the years.

There are other guys around here that know as much or more than I do. NWSharpshooter and ASH556 are two guys whose opinion I really respect. They know their stuff. I'm sure there are others too.

Last edited:
I'm OCD. ;) Not really, but my wife says I am.

All kidding aside, I've been messing around with them for 10+ years and a gun nut since I was old enough to walk. Growing up in the 80's, the AR was the ultimate "American" gun. When I first got into ARs, I spent alot of time learning about the platform. Also got certified as an armorer a couple of years ago. Mostly, I've learned from people that know alot more than I do. I've built alot of guns for myself, friends and friends of friends, a few referral builds for complete strangers and a ton of troubleshooting for folks over the years.

There are other guys around here that know as much or more than I do. NWSharpshooter and ASH556 are two guys whose opinion I really respect. They know their stuff. I'm sure there are others too.
ahhhh the 80's... A time before my time.

Just kiddinn.

If you could only give one piece of advice on the AR platform what would it be?

ahhhh the 80's... A time before my time.

Just kiddinn.

If you could only give one piece of advice on the AR platform what would it be?
My first piece of advice would be to learn all you can about how the gun was designed to work and why. Right down to why certain steels are used, how gas port sizes effect function, etc. This will provide the knowledge base you need to make informed decisions.

Second, Don't buy cheap just for the sake of cheap. I know that sounds snobbish, but this thread is a good example. The owner of that gun bought a piece of crap lower and then stuck a $500+ optic on it. Seriously? I'm not saying that every component should be Noveske, but cost is a reflection of more than just brand name. In some cases, certain brands cost more simply because of brand name prestige. I don't waste time with those. In other cases, the manufacturer can lay out a clear justification for pricing. Such as materials selection, manufacturing technique, R&D, engineering, design, testing, QC measures, etc. In those cases, it's worth it. When it comes to component selection, the barrel and bcg are most critical to a well functioning rifle. As far as uppers, lowers, parts kits and the like, I'd rather pay a fraction more for a product that I trust, just so I don't have to worry about the off chance that I get a dud.

sonofa*****...are you serious? I've never noticed that hole before. Do all front takedown pins have it?

My first piece of advice would be to learn all you can about how the gun was designed to work and why. Right down to why certain steels are used, how gas port sizes effect function, etc. This will provide the knowledge base you need to make informed decisions.

Second, Don't buy cheap just for the sake of cheap. I know that sounds snobbish, but this thread is a good example. The owner of that gun bought a piece of crap lower and then stuck a $500+ optic on it. Seriously? I'm not saying that every component should be Noveske, but cost is a reflection of more than just brand name. In some cases, certain brands cost more simply because of brand name prestige. I don't waste time with those. In other cases, the manufacturer can lay out a clear justification for pricing. Such as materials selection, manufacturing technique, R&D, engineering, design, testing, QC measures, etc. In those cases, it's worth it. When it comes to component selection, the barrel and bcg are most critical to a well functioning rifle. As far as uppers, lowers, parts kits and the like, I'd rather pay a fraction more for a product that I trust, just so I don't have to worry about the off chance that I get a dud.

Good info. So your one piece of advice is to buy once cry once.

Back
Top Bottom