TOMORROW :Rifleman's Weekend- May 21st - River Bend Gun Club - Garand and Vintage Rifle Matches

This'll be the first year in 3 or 4 that I'll miss it. For the uninitiated I'll make a few comments:

Bring whatever you have and HAVE FUN! I have Never NEVER heard anyone, competitor or match staff, say anything derogatory about anyone's equipment. Ben Franklin (yep, real name) usually runs the matches and likes to give regulars some grief, like saying scopes are for wimps (scoped sniper rifles shoot in a sniper match). But everyone is very laid back, very helpful, very friendly etc. If you run short of ammo, or have a problem, someone will probably offer you some HXP for free.

Take WATER. I use a camel back. Ben usually has a cooler. Bring a lunch too.

Take Sunscreen. If it's hot, your neck may fry.

Steal the kiddie's stroller. A gun cart makes lugging stuff easier.

Practice reloads!!! You can lose a lot of time bungling this. Don't ask me how I know.

Ask questions. People are glad to help. This is especially true when scoring on the line or in the pits. Tell someone it's your first dig, you'll get paired with somebody with experience, and it'll make the day smoother.

Come prepared for all weather. Cold mornings, hot afternoons.

And have fun. If you bungle the reload in sitting and you know you've totally screwed up any chance for a trophy, relax! Shooting off-hand (standing) will be soooooo much better when you don't care anymore (again, don't ask how I know this).

Equipment wise:
An "as issued" Garand. No match sights, no shims, etc. A CMP Franken-Gun is OK
A Sling. The leather ones are better. Look up how to run it on the rifle and how to twist it on your arm.
A spotting scope (if at all possible).
A pen! for scoring.
Ammo: 20+10+10+10 = 50, plus "sighters". I usually have 75 handholds per day, in case I or someone else needs some. Don't use over the counter 30-06 hunting rounds. Please.
A glove. I've used an old USGI Army issued black leather dress glove for years.
A hoodie and/ or a shooting coat. You don't need a leather shooting jacket, but they do help. The hoodie, even if wearing a shooting coat is to keep hot brass from singing your neck!
At least 2 en-bloc clips. (Hey, you get to say "clips" and it's ok!)
An empty chamber indicator / flag.

I may have left something off that list. Someone else will chime in.

Lastly, if you are a veteran, indicate it on your score card. There's a seperate trophy for Vets.
Fantastic Advice!! THANK YOU! My First ever match.

Back
Top Bottom