• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Title transfer

SMLEshooter

Default rank <2000 posts
ODT Junkie!
92   0
Reaction score
I am hoping someone can enlighten me on this so I don't inadvertently cause myself some problems...

Anybody have any experience transferring a South Carolina automotive title to Georgia? It's for a 1989 vehicle with the title being issued around '94.

I've looked at the back and it has several spots that I'm not sure what needs to be filled out with whose name...

Should be pretty simple. Sign the back where it says transferee (you) and take it to your tag office. They will take the title and you will get a new one in the mail some weeks later with your name printed on the front and a blank back for future sale/transfer. But just ask them if you have any questions.

Oh.. and you’ll pay ad valorem tax on its proposed value. Ain’t it great??

Right, it should be simple, but I always seem to run into some technicality problem.

For instance, the SC title has a spot for a notary where GA titles don't. Will GA be a stickler about that?

Title will be coming from a yard where the owner named on the title probably signed it years ago and the yard held onto the car for parts, but never sold anything off it. It's still complete, in good shape and not salvaged.

Yep...SC vehicle title has to be Notarized. GA will require this if you want the title converted to a GA one.
I went thru this with a couple muscle cars I've bought over the years.

Yep...SC vehicle title has to be Notarized. GA will require this if you want the title converted to a GA one.
I went thru this with a couple muscle cars I've bought over the years.

Like BillsCamino, I too had to have a SC title notarized for GA to accept it. GA follows the law of the state that the title comes from so if it requires a notary, they will, if not, they don't.

Back
Top Bottom