• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Tikka muzzle threads

cmshoot

Marines Icon
Staff member
197   0
Reaction score
Just a heads up for folks that are looking to buy a rifle and considering a Tikka. On the “larger than 5.56” barrels, the thread pitch is M18x1.......NOT 5/8x24. If you’re wanting to run a can with a brake/QD setup, or a direct thread, this may influence your choice, depending upon what device you plan on using.

A cut and rethread is possible, but I’m not sure if that would be possible with one of the 16” barreled models.

Adapters are available, but I try and stay away from those.

The more you know.......

Are you referring to the newest rifles they released? The CTR has 5/8x24

The brand new Tikka T3x Tac A1 I looked at today was threaded at M18x1. Was ordered by an LE agency and just arrived. A 5/8x24 brake was too small to go on. I quick call to Silencerco confirmed it was M18x1.

EDIT: It appears that for some reason the 16” Tikka T3x TAC A1 .308 is threaded at M18x1, while the 20” and 24” versions are 5/8x24. Not sure why Tikka would do that, and apparently neither the store that ordered it or the agency they ordered it for were aware of it. I got drug into the mix because they were trying to find out what the thread was on it. https://www.eurooptic.com/Tikka-T3x-TAC-A1-308-Win-16-Heavy-Bbl-M18x1-JRTAC316SB.aspx

Learn something new every day. This is worth a heads up when looking at rifles from ANY company. Don’t take something like this for granted; take the time to do some research.

Interesting. Mine is a T3X CTR. 6.5 creed. I have noticed on Tikka’s website they have multiple SKUs for what appears to be the same guns in the same caliber, sometimes the difference is barrel length, but on some I think I’ve noticed the same barrel length and same caliber but different SKU so I wonder if the muzzle threads could be the only difference in those.

depending on the model, they can have some odd thread patterns. But most models have other skews with standard thread patterns. Fwiw, sico have md's with tikka metric thread patterns.

Yep, Silencerco has an ASR with M18x1 threads in .338. They ordered that one. Only downside I can see is the brake may be a smidge less effective due to gases escaping around the bullet.

Yep, Silencerco has an ASR with M18x1 threads in .338. They ordered that one. Only downside I can see is the brake may be a smidge less effective due to gases escaping around the bullet.
True, but most QD brakes aren't that effective to begin with. I had a Tikka tac in 223 with that same thread pitch. I was taken back a bit at the time with the threads as well.

You received either a special order gun or one for the European market.

Since Beretta took over I have noticed several mix ups and advise contacting the distributor/store if you are at any time unhappy with what you have received.

I am a huge fan of the Tikka/Sako line of rifles and most likely will never buy another Remington.

Metric threads tend to be for the European market.

Inch pattern for the U.S.

I wish my Sako TRG-22 had 5/8 instead of 18mm threads.

That gun is built to for the world market which is largely metric.

Back
Top Bottom