• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

The shtf barter system.

There is no way of telling. It will depend on exactly what has happened and who you are dealing with. Ammo is a good bet, but you never know.

I think after the initial S hits the initial F, after a year or two when things settle in.. things that the ancient people traded will become very valuable. Things like salt, spices, seeds, etc. After the inital first 6 months I don't see food becoming an issue for the well-prepared.. I can grow enough food in 3 months from seed to feed my family for the entire year. Things like breeding pairs of goats, sheep, llamas, etc will become invaluable for meat, wool and milk.

Horses will probably become the preferred mode of transport, you would need a few of those.

I don't think ammo would be too terribly necessary other than to protect yourself from other people. In a reduced population scenario there will be ample wildlife. Also remember that the game and fish laws won't apply, a few good traps would be essential equipment, as well as a good bow and a primitive firearm, like a flintlock (no 209 primers needed).

I think I have to disagree about the ample wildlife thing. Two reasons come to mind. One: in the immediate afterward of a SHTF event, wildlife will be hunted to near extinction to supplement food for those who aren't stocked up or have renewable food supplies(gardens, chickens, cows, rabbits, etc) and two: Prior to the modern game management policies of the DNR, the populations of game animals was much lower than today. Regulated hunting has kept the herds culled to optimum levels and maintained a healthy balance of male to female. With unregulated hunting decimating species and hunters killing regardless of age, sex or concerns for species propagation, we could see literal extinctions.

Just my take on the topic.

I didn't say DEER.. lol.. people stop planting food plots and giving them suburban shelter, deer will go back to pre-columbian population, maybe 300k in GA.

With suburbia going back into the dirt, there will be more habitat for the already rampant hog population, and with more undergrowth comes more rabbits, possums, armadillo, etc.

Not to mention (I know this is a terrible thing to say) but there will be roaming packs of feral dogs. If you get REALLY hungry, that is always an option.

I think I have to disagree about the ample wildlife thing. Two reasons come to mind. One: in the immediate afterward of a SHTF event, wildlife will be hunted to near extinction to supplement food for those who aren't stocked up or have renewable food supplies(gardens, chickens, cows, rabbits, etc) and two: Prior to the modern game management policies of the DNR, the populations of game animals was much lower than today. Regulated hunting has kept the herds culled to optimum levels and maintained a healthy balance of male to female. With unregulated hunting decimating species and hunters killing regardless of age, sex or concerns for species propagation, we could see literal extinctions.

Just my take on the topic.

Interesting take and one, I agree with, in part. Hunting is a skill...it is not like every urban or suburban refugee will suddenly become Daniel Boone or Davy Crockett. Those of us who have been doing it for a while tend to lose sight that not everybody hunts or fishes. I have been hunting and fishing for 20+ years and there are times when I still feel like a novice :).

I didn't say DEER.. lol.. people stop planting food plots and giving them suburban shelter, deer will go back to pre-columbian population, maybe 300k in GA.

With suburbia going back into the dirt, there will be more habitat for the already rampant hog population, and with more undergrowth comes more rabbits, possums, armadillo, etc.

Not to mention (I know this is a terrible thing to say) but there will be roaming packs of feral dogs. If you get REALLY hungry, that is always an option.

LOL! Deer is the FIRST thing that comes to mind for "wildlife" around my area(West Point Lake area). No hog population and aside from Hee Haw and The Beverly Hillbillys I never think of possum or armadillos in a food context. Bleh! ;) Nope, round here it's deer, squirrel, rabbit and turkey..well and fish.

Interesting take and one, I agree with, in part. Hunting is a skill...it is not like every urban or suburban refugee will suddenly become Daniel Boone or Davy Crockett. Those of us who have been doing it for a while tend to lose sight that not everybody hunts or fishes. I have been hunting and fishing for 20+ years and there are times when I still feel like a novice :).

Sort of what I was thinking in my previous post. Real hunters are conservationist by nature. 'Fugees with guns will be spray and pray killers who will go full auto on any animal on sight regardless of gender/breeding considerations and will kill EVERYTHING they see. Real hunters will be leaning more heavily on game with stores no longer providing food, then the 'fugees will decimate the remaining populations.

I seem to recall reading that during the Great Depression, deer populations were indeed decimated. Just natural, I suppose...people gotta eat.

I seem to recall reading that during the Great Depression, deer populations were indeed decimated. Just natural, I suppose...people gotta eat.

Something tells me that the folks back in the 1930's were a lot more self-sufficient then the folks of today. I do recall my grandfather telling us grandkids that he hunted a lot more than usual back then for meat. He would divide the venison as follows: family, friends in serious need, and barter.

My father grew up on a dairy farm during the Depression and told me thay paid for items with eggs ,milk,cream and butter they also were self sufficient on the farm and grew all of their food ,and raised their own cattle ,hogs and chickens , the people of those days were cut from a different cloth and hopefully I have learned from his stories ....

Back
Top Bottom