• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

The shtf barter system.

I've heard 22 ammo will be the new money before, but why 22 not 9mm or 762x39, either of which is more practical for everyday use in that scenario; especially the x39 which can be used for self defense or hunting deer etc.

my thought there is .22 is probably the most common ammo around. Its been used since the mid 1800's. Great for small game which will be plentiful to hunt than deer. Joe average may have a box of 50 rounds of this and that, but more likely to have a couple hundred .22. So its more common of a unit to trade with. But you still need to find two parties that have a product to exchange and a need/willingness to trade.

Anything medical, especially insulin if you can keep it cold. Benadryl and epinephrine would be worth alot too

Grains, beans, rice, etc - food staples. These are easy to store in 5 gallon food grade buckets - sealed in side in mylar bags.

Ammo - it all depends on what is still being manufactured, depends on the type of SHTF event. Pretty plentiful down south, but up in the north east I have family members who scream in horror if they see a gun or a .45 round. I suspect they'll pay through the nose for that stuff later if it's even available up there.

Medicines, antibiotics and medical supplies (including dentistry).

Clothing.

Produce - fruits/vegetables.

I have a list of tradable stuff a mile long. Typical stuff - lighters, tobacco, dental stuff, reading glasses, safety razors/blades, pocket knives, alchohol (basic and premium). Specialty stuff - medical, manual fuel transfer pumps, well pumps, parts, etc.

I've heard 22 ammo will be the new money before, but why 22 not 9mm or 762x39, either of which is more practical for everyday use in that scenario; especially the x39 which can be used for self defense or hunting deer etc.

I would imagine that anyone who has a 9mm or a 7.62x39 also has a .22 in the safe or closet...but the opposite is probably not true. Literally 10's of millions of .22s have been sold over the years, if not 100's of millions.

However...I'm not completely sold on the idea of trading someone the means with which they can kill me if they are so inclined. Toilet paper would probably be a coveted item. When we hit the grocery store, I always try to pick up some prep stuff and that almost always includes...wait for it...wet wipes. Yup, wet wipes.

Back
Top Bottom