• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

The Arthritis Project

One hour in and ready for coat number two....dry wiped....no boiling yet. That's about 2 hours after the second and dry coating of Pilkingtons.

i.imgur.com_xGKvkJq.jpg

Sorry bout the delay. I was out reducing the clutch stroke on the old 65 C10 (switched to a modern clutch and T5 so the long old truck stroke was no longer needed), changing the oil, rotatin the tires and bringin the shoes up closer to the drums.

First good rust. Very even and I am pleased with the fine grain.

i.imgur.com_wrXwUwa.jpg

Boiling to add oxygen ions to the rust making it black.

i.imgur.com_Dae3L3E.jpg

This is always the oh no its ruined look....under the smut is the beginings of black. Pull the parts from boiling water and start drying with the heat gun. When you are sure every drop of water is gone, dry it with the heat gun twice more. Water and finger prints now make permanent spots....get it dry and don't touch it with bare hands.

i.imgur.com_RrX2wxL.jpg

First carding with clean and dry 0000 steel wool. Smut is gone. Under is a thin watery grey black. More black on the frame. Less black on the barrel and almost none on the alloy ejector rod. Dry coats of pilkingtons from now on, let it rust, boil it and card it. Sometime in 3 or more days, it'll be done and ready to oil. In the meantime, go work on a truck or a Gentlemans Workhorse 45 ACP or just watch good movies and drink beer. Its all about the waiting.

i.imgur.com_dnxXy6V.jpg

The overnight rust looks just fine.

i.imgur.com_9WQV3Zi.jpg

The second boil went well too.

i.imgur.com_KoGsIaG.jpg

Frame carded, barrel in smut. Looking great, very nice color on the frame and the barrel, after carding, is catching up in color nicely too. Small parts as well.

i.imgur.com_WyRXzOG.jpg

The overnight rust looks just fine.

i.imgur.com_9WQV3Zi.jpg

The second boil went well too.

i.imgur.com_KoGsIaG.jpg

Frame carded, barrel in smut. Looking great, very nice color on the frame and the barrel, after carding, is catching up in color nicely too. Small parts as well.

i.imgur.com_WyRXzOG.jpg

Looking great man! Nice work on the rust bluing!!

As all of your projects, it looks great. Your work, patience, and skill are impressive enough but you taking the time to take the rest of us along on your thoughts, planning and execution is priceless. Thank you for that.

I think the blue on this one is about done. Runnn 68 degrees and 70 to 80 % humidity and its barely rusting. Tomorrow morning might be last boil and reassembly.

Boiled and carded this morning. Flooded the outside with Hoppes and carded it again. Flooded the entire gun, in and out with wd40 and scrubbed out the knooks and crannies with brushes and q tips and now its resting for a bit in a mix of Hoppes and wd40. The blue looks great!

i.imgur.com_ZoV8Ziy.jpg

All in but the shooting. Oiled, assembled and function checked. Well, all in but the shooting and the giving! Just a reblue of the frame and it looks great in a factory and rust blue two tone. No attempt to refinish the aluminum parts....they were in pretty good shape and I installed a spare ERH that had less wear and tear on its finish to complete the package.

i.imgur.com_H6NeQ6h.jpg

i.imgur.com_zeSYEa8.jpg

i.imgur.com_SLYv6vk.jpg

i.imgur.com_5EGA1Pw.jpg

i.imgur.com_QQlFom1.jpg

i.imgur.com_PusYOkn.jpg

i.imgur.com_4NUKAx3.jpg

Back
Top Bottom