• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Tennis elbow caused by shooting

I wouldn't recommend the shot. Hurts like hell for not much relief. I had to change my style of shooting Cowboy from Duelist (one hand unsupported) to traditional (two hand hold). I also had to go through 6 weeks of physical therapy. Icing it down helps too.

When I was a full-time firearms Instructor, and shooting USPSA almost every weekend, I got it in my right elbow. Slamming my arms out to full extension on the draw repeatedly.......

I took ibuprofen at the start of each range session/competition and it worked for me. Of course, that's not solving the problem, it's only masking the symptom.

When I was a full-time firearms Instructor, and shooting USPSA almost every weekend, I got it in my right elbow. Slamming my arms out to full extension on the draw repeatedly.......

I took ibuprofen at the start of each range session/competition and it worked for me. Of course, that's not solving the problem, it's only masking the symptom.
So you think it's the draw stroke not recoil? I don't actually lock my elbows like some do but it's very close.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

So you think it's the draw stroke not recoil? I don't actually lock my elbows like some do but it's very close.

That's what I figured mine was from because that's when it hurt. Not the recoil, locking my right elbow.

I slammed my arms out hard, so I figured there was a tad of hyperextension going on.

That's what I figured mine was from because that's when it hurt. Not the recoil, locking my right elbow.

I slammed my arms out hard, so I figured there was a tad of hyperextension going on.
Gotcha. I assumed it was vibration (from the recoil) in my case as that's what typically can cause tennis elbow problems and I definitely don't run to full lock. Mine never bothers me when shooting, it usually just shows up the next day. I appreciate the input.

When I had it in 2012 I started out with one of those braces on my forearm but it eventually got so painful that I couldn't even straighten my arm out. I ended up having to get a cortisone injection and haven't had any problems since, beware though, those injections hurt like a mother****er till they pull the needle out and almost like magic the pain was completely gone.

Back
Top Bottom