• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Tax stamp question

Well it's a good idea to but what if it's one of those LEO who knows what's legal and what's not. If a LEO is convinced its illegal, it's illegal. Hey I'm sure the guy who got arrested sometime earlier this year in GA for open carrying, showed his permit...
Well if that happens you will have the money for another class 3 item. You arrest me for having a legal item than you better prepare to get sued.

If the range officer at River Bend Gun Club asks to see you need to show it to him. That is part of the agreement in membership.

1.7 - Supressors
Silencers, noise suppressors or cans may be used on any firearm appropriate for
the range it is being used on. For example a 22 pistol with a suppressor may be
used on any range where a 22 pistol may be used. If you bring a suppressor on
club property please be prepared to present the ATF paperwork if asked by any
club official. Do not bring suppressors to the gun club without the appropriate
paperwork. Under no circumstances should silencers without the proper
paperwork be brought to the club. Under no circumstances should a member or
guest use an improvised silencer on club property. USE OF ANY ATF
RESTRICTED FIREARM AT RIVER BEND WITHOUT THE CORRECT
PAPERWORK IN YOUR POSSESSION IS A VIOLATION OF THE CLUB RULES
AND WILL BE TREATED LIKE ANY OTHER RULES VIOLATION.
1.8 - Short Barreled Rifles or Shotguns
Short-barreled rifles, those with barrel lengths under 16 inches, may be used on
any “rifle appropriate” range provided you have the ATF paperwork for the gun.
Short-barreled shotguns, those with barrels less than 18 inches, are not allowed
on the Trap, Skeet, Five Stand or Sporting Clays courses under any circumstances. Short-Barreled shotguns may be used on other bays appropriate
for 3-Gun activities provided you have the ATF paperwork with you. USE OF
ANY ATF RESTRICTED FIREARM AT RIVER BEND WITHOUT THE CORRECT
PAPERWORK IN YOUR POSSESSION IS A VIOLATION OF THE CLUB RULES
AND WILL BE TREATED LIKE ANY OTHER RULES VIOLATION.

Laxguy59 - I take the statement you quoted off of the form 1/4 to not "only" mean you have to show it to BATFE. It is reasonable to show it to any Law Enforcement Officer if asked. Otherwise how would they know the NFA item you have is legally owned?!

Many public access ranges i.e. Range Officers, (Stoddards in Douglasville and The the indoor range by the Atlanta Farmer's Market in south Atlanta) will ask to see your form 1/4 if you are shooting an NFA item. I think that from a business perspective its a good idea to do so. You have the right to refuse to show it of course, and they most likely will ask you to leave the premises.

As to LEO's asking to see your Form 1/4. Without question show it to them if asked. If you refuse to show it, you have created a problem - that being they have no idea that what you have is legal (registered). Its another matter altogether whether they know about NFA/TitleII/ClassIII and or form 1/4's and arrest you regardless. I have said this before and I'll continue to say it. If you are not doing anything illegal, being courteous, and professional you will have no problems with 99.9% of LE encounters. Everyone will walk away happy.

Of course you can still be arrested even with the proper paperwork. Personally I think you'd be looking at a significant payday if that happened for a wrongful arrest.

Regards,
Rob

NFA items are the responsibility of the BATFE not local police unless there is a state law against NFA items. I'm not required to show a LEO anything as FEDERAL law usurps state and local. that being said i carry copies of my form 4's with my NFA items as the headache isn't worth it.

NFA items are the responsibility of the BATFE not local police unless there is a state law against NFA items. I'm not required to show a LEO anything as FEDERAL law usurps state and local. that being said i carry copies of my form 4's with my NFA items as the headache isn't worth it.

Agreed I will do the same, I just brought this up as a legal hypothetical question.

WMA rule.

However, silenced weapons may be used by any person provided that such person has in their possession, at all times, proof of registration of such silencer consistent with the National Firearms Act and such person is in compliance with O.C.G.A. § 16-11-121.

Laxguy59 - I take the statement you quoted off of the form 1/4 to not "only" mean you have to show it to BATFE. It is reasonable to show it to any Law Enforcement Officer if asked. Otherwise how would they know the NFA item you have is legally owned?!

Many public access ranges i.e. Range Officers, (Stoddards in Douglasville and The the indoor range by the Atlanta Farmer's Market in south Atlanta) will ask to see your form 1/4 if you are shooting an NFA item. I think that from a business perspective its a good idea to do so. You have the right to refuse to show it of course, and they most likely will ask you to leave the premises.

As to LEO's asking to see your Form 1/4. Without question show it to them if asked. If you refuse to show it, you have created a problem - that being they have no idea that what you have is legal (registered). Its another matter altogether whether they know about NFA/TitleII/ClassIII and or form 1/4's and arrest you regardless. I have said this before and I'll continue to say it. If you are not doing anything illegal, being courteous, and professional you will have no problems with 99.9% of LE encounters. Everyone will walk away happy.

Of course you can still be arrested even with the proper paperwork. Personally I think you'd be looking at a significant payday if that happened for a wrongful arrest.

Regards,
Rob

I've never seen Stoddards so much as blink an eye when someone was shooting suppressed. I have shot beside 3 or 4 people who were shooting supressed and never once seen anyone there question them. You take your guns in and as long as you are within the limits of caliber(which is pretty much anything at Stoddards) then you say nothing to the people at the counter about what you are shooting and I have never heard them ask. Most of the time they do not even check to see if you are using steel ammo, they just make sure you know that you can't. If a Range Officer asked to see my form I'd tell him to kiss it and go shoot somewhere else. It is NONE of there business. It's not like you are shooting full auto, a can makes it no more dangerous at the range.

99% of LEO wouldn't know what the valid paperwork looked like. I never take the originals out of my safe and I carry copies when I leave the house. But I must say a 12 year old with a computer could make a fake. So what does showing them anything REALLY prove? Even if they know what their looking at? They have now way to verify what their looking at.

Well if that happens you will have the money for another class 3 item. You arrest me for having a legal item than you better prepare to get sued.

Yeah I'm just waiting for that day, I then will beable to afford a Machine Gun :D

Back
Top Bottom