Talking to Police after a Self Defense Incident

I believe I would give a short account of my actions, emphasizing my fear and stressing that I just wanted them to stop what they were doing, after I had calmed down a bit.
Any detailed account would be later after I had time to collect my thoughts.

You're half right. Emphasize that you are too upset to give a statement (which you want to be if you've shot someone) and that after you've had time to compose yourself (and call your lawyer) you will be glad to meet with them. You don't have to express the desire to have a lawyer, unless you are taken into custody (hence the "am I free to go" question).

While not a self defense case, a good example is the police case in Baltimore. You didn't see the cops making statements to other cops. They lawyered up first thing (through their union), didn't point the finger at each other, and got off because the State had nothing to use as evidence. You can bet if the first one had said anything (or tried to "explain it") someone would have gone to jail.

The cops couldn't explain it well enough to make it go away, and you think you can do better?

Look the part 2. of the video above, where a real life cop says no has never "not gone to jail" because they "explained it."

If you ever hear yourself saying "I can explain this, officer" you're already screwed.
The officers in Baltimore were obviously maliciously prosecuted. They made detailed reports at the time, they don't have the option of not giving a report or statement as part of their job. It's called Garrity. Look it up. That is why after the fact they did not talk.

George Zimmerman was originally cleared of charges based on his articulation, and eventually as well. However he was prosecuted because of political pressure. No lawyer would have kept that from happening as it was a complete sham anyway.
If memory serves George Zimmerman happened on the same day as the Supreme court chief justice gave two rulings that read together contradicted each other. But together supported and enabled Obama care.

The scramble by the media was to find something to take that off of the days headlines. So the answer was white guy kills black teen.

I used that example because his recorded responses to the list of questions asked by the dispatcher was edited and used by the media to portray him as a racist.

Again if you have been the victim of a criminal act and had to use your weapon. When you dial 911 keep your choice of words general, brief to the point of kurt, and the dispatcher is trained to keep pestering you for answers from their list of questions.

If memory serves George Zimmerman happened on the same day as the Supreme court chief justice gave two rulings that read together contradicted each other. But together supported and enabled Obama care.

The scramble by the media was to find something to take that off of the days headlines. So the answer was white guy kills black teen.

I used that example because his recorded responses to the list of questions asked by the dispatcher was edited and used by the media to portray him as a racist.

Again if you have been involved in a crime and had to use your weapon. When you dial 911 keep your choice of words general, brief to the point of kurt, and the dispatcher is trained to keep pestering you for answers from their list of questions.

did you intend to write if you were a victim of a crime and had to use your weapon? Because if not.....:confused2:

Again if you have been involved in a crime and had to use your weapon. When you dial 911 keep your choice of words general, brief to the point of kurt, and the dispatcher is trained to keep pestering you for answers from their list of questions.

Sounds like you have 0 idea of what you're talking about

did you intend to write if you were a victim of a crime and had to use your weapon? Because if not.....:confused2:
Ii apologize for the lack of clarity . If you have been involved in a shooting you have had to use your weapon as a result of being the victim of a criminal act. If you are involved in a shooting, there will have been at least an attempted commission of a crime before a weapon can be legally used.

Ii apologize for the lack of clarity . If you have been involved in a shooting you have had to use your weapon as a result of being the victim of a criminal act. If you are involved in a shooting, there will have been at least an attempted commission of a crime before a weapon can be legally used.

Be interesting to see how this plays out. For now though it seems to be an "oopsie."

http://www.11alive.com/news/local/t...atal-diane-mciver-shooting-revealed/328052165

Wait for your lawyer. What you think is cut and dried may not be. I largely practice criminal defense and even I would not give details on the scene.

In such a situation, I would only provide my name, date of birth, social, address, and a copy of my driver's license.
Can I refer to you as 'my' lawyer?

:becky:

Back
Top Bottom