• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Stocking a fish pond

SniperStraz

Default rank <500 posts
Survivalist
38   0
Reaction score
I’m interested in building a large fish pond and stocking it with tasty fish.
Has anyone done this? Which fish breed or breeds would be easy to raise and keep?
Any tips?
Thanks!

Thanks so much guys!
Is there any species that will dominate over another?

That is a good question.
Just think of it as a food chain.
bass and catfish will feed on tilapia and pan fish. Have brush piles for the smaller fish to
have cover/protection to propagate.

added note:burry pipe horizonaly into the banks for catfish.
I have heard it helps reduce the ammount of damage they cause to the banks.

Whatever you do make sure you don't put spotted bass in the pond. They will ruin your ponds ecosystem. As for the Carp it's kind of like an acreage thing. I wouldn't more than 3 or 4 in a 5 acre or less pond. If your simply looking for good eating fish keep it slap full of catfish, bluegill and perch. If you want a good healthy pond make sure to leave a lot of shallows and brush as well as some small grass beds. The main key is a good water supply the more water circulating the better. The summers here in Georgia can get hot enough to kill any fish in your pond if you don't have some cool moving water. There are a lot of things to take into account when designing your pond and if your not sure of these it would be wise to have someone come out and explain them before you start digging. It's much easier to get it right the first time. One thing I can attest to it would be wise to build a smaller pond above your main pond as a catch pond for all the silt.

I have seen many people just dig a deep hole and fill it up with water and within just a few years find out all the things they have messed up on. Good luck with your pond and please post some pics of you project.

-BC

Back
Top Bottom