....spent almost 500 bucks to find this out....

I've had this problem as well with an 08 Crown Vic. I was able to buy a full set of coils from Amazon for $51.00. Be careful about overtightening the plugs. The Ford modular engines are bad about shearing threads and spitting plug back out.

These engines suck from top to bottom

Spitting out plugs
Breaking plugs
Defective coils
Defective cam phasers

Mounting aluminium fuel pump control directly against a steel frame ? Any 10th grade science student could tell you what happens when you bolt dissimilar metals together
But ford has hundreds, maybe thousands of engineers and thought it would be a great idea

And that 2 threads would be plenty to hold a spark plug in. And that making a spark plug the EXACT diameter of the hole would work fine when it gets carbon on it
And worst of all. No power

That's how you know they never tested any of it
Those commercials showing how much they test vehicles are totally made up

Youd never guess that they'd been making automobiles for Over 100 years and still design stuff this poorly

Unless they did spit out plugs and break plugs during the test but never until after the warranty would have been expired

a 351W was way better
More power. More reliable More MPG

Last edited:
Been there done that. I spent two weekends and hundreds of dollars on what turned out to be a $12 part. I decided a while ago that it's actually cheaper for me to have the pros work on my vehicles.

Been there done that. I spent two weekends and hundreds of dollars on what turned out to be a $12 part. I decided a while ago that it's actually cheaper for me to have the pros work on my vehicles.

Good move, I replaced all the coils, with acell brand for $150, about 140k. I knew they would be dieting, so did it as a maint, I have a shop and get a call a week with someone wanting us to change 1 spark plug, because they broke it trying to replace it. The one on the pass side in the rear!!! The know how and the tools you NEED are worth it. Plus we always run a decarbon before we try to take the plugs out.

Good move, I replaced all the coils, with acell brand for $150, about 140k. I knew they would be dieting, so did it as a maint, I have a shop and get a call a week with someone wanting us to change 1 spark plug, because they broke it trying to replace it. The one on the pass side in the rear!!! The know how and the tools you NEED are worth it. Plus we always run a decarbon before we try to take the plugs out.

Where's the shop?

I have a 04 expy
Needs the plugs and coils changed

I'm guessing you charge the same for replacing the one broken plug as for changing all 8 right?

Is it bad that as i started reading this thread i knew exactly what vehicle we were talking about? I had all 8 changed just to be on the safe side, then i had one randomly break the tip off inside the motor while i was driving, then i had cylinder 4 get water down into the plug hole from what i would assume would be a leaking cowl and the whole base of the spark plug rusted into the hole and it had to be backed out with a small pick. I replaced all 8 coil packs when the first misfire issue arose just to be on the safe side then i had to replace two of those. My truck has more money in spark plugs and coil packs than it does aftermarket accessories. Unfortunately it's paid off and the motor only has a short while longer before the cam phasers appear they will explode at which point the truck will get a brand new non Ford crate engine and all problems will be solved.

it could be the throttle body is a bit dirty. or have you ever replaced the coil packs/plugs? might be the cause. and if they are the stock plugs prepare for a huge pain. the stock ones are 2 piece plugs and they LOVE to break when pulled. so much they even made a tool just for them when they break, called the "Lisle tool". worth the money if you have the original 2 piece plugs and are going to change them yourself.

So how many plugs did you break when you pulled them? ;-) Had a shop replace my plugs, knowing what I was facing. Even after they decarboned the engine, 4 ended up breaking.

Where's the shop?

I have a 04 expy
Needs the plugs and coils changed

I'm guessing you charge the same for replacing the one broken plug as for changing all 8 right?

most shops charge the basic pug change cost. then a added cost for every spark plug that breaks. ive heard around 150 per broken plug is the average.

So how many plugs did you break when you pulled them? ;-) Had a shop replace my plugs, knowing what I was facing. Even after they decarboned the engine, 4 ended up breaking.

I had a shop in texas do them. they broke 2 and one of the plugs tips was corroded off (wish I still had it to take a pic, the entire tip of the plug was gone lol). so I had them do a compression test also to make sure that broken part of the plug wasn't in the motor somewhere (it wasn't thank god lol). I got out of the dealership for a bit under 600 bucks.

and as far as the cam phasers, I had that done at the dealer I bought it from the next day after I bought it. I know the guys at the dealer and my brother used to work there :) so they did it for freeeeee ;) my brother told me about the phaser issue right after I came home with it.

the only other issue im dealing with right now is a slight vibration around 63mph. im pretty sure its due to these crappy falken tires. I pulled the driveshaft and u joints where perfect and even got it checked at Doraville driveline (best guys in the business) and they said it was fine. even balanced checked it for me. so has to be the tires imo.

Back
Top Bottom