....spent almost 500 bucks to find this out....

militaryrednek

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
75   0
Reaction score
so my truck started running like crap. misfiring bad everytime it started going up hill or trying to accelerate while in overdrive. so its either a bad plug or a bad coil. spent about 477 at rockauto ordering new plugs/coils for my truck (after a few weeks of saving and driving very, very careful and babying the crap outta my truck lol. driving grandpa slow!). started pulling everything off a few days ago and do the passenger side plugs/coils. then I get started pulling everything off the driver side (after removing the cpu and bracket to get access to the rear 2 plugs) and pull one of the coils and the spring pulls out and stays on the plug....fun fun lol!!! 40 dollar part broke....spent almost 500 in parts to find it out lol!!

well, good thing is if I decide to sell my truck. its got a set of brand new OEM motorcraft plugs/coils. which is a rather great selling point for a 05 f150 with the 5.4l in it lol!

[Broken External Image]:

I hate that damn coil pack design. Those rear cylinders are a hoot to access.

ya, luckily I had enough different sized extensions to put together a good length to make the right size to get at the rear 2 on either side without to much trouble. just the passenger side you need to remove the cpu and bracket to get access to them.

My 06 sputters sometimes when gently accelerating. If I give it more gas it won't do it. Doesn't do it all the time, it's annoying.

it could be the throttle body is a bit dirty. or have you ever replaced the coil packs/plugs? might be the cause. and if they are the stock plugs prepare for a huge pain. the stock ones are 2 piece plugs and they LOVE to break when pulled. so much they even made a tool just for them when they break, called the "Lisle tool". worth the money if you have the original 2 piece plugs and are going to change them yourself.

Did better than I did...

My Sport Trac decided to drop a cylinder (#5) last weekend. Drove it out to have dinner, ran fine. Started it up after eating, missing/shaking like crazy.
Thought OK...install new plugs, wires and coil.
Still not fixed.

After more testing found it had Zero compression in one hole.

Traded it in Thursday night on a new F150...ouch. :(

Did better than I did...

My Sport Trac decided to drop a cylinder (#5) last weekend. Drove it out to have dinner, ran fine. Started it up after eating, missing/shaking like crazy.
Still not fixed.

ouch that sucks :(

but hey, you got a new f150! be happy! lol! ive been debating selling/trading my truck. I really need something more gas friendly since I work in the atl. but I just cant find a car im comfortable in lol!! I been looking at the smaller SUVs lately, but if it doesn't get over 20mpg its not worth it to me and ide rather keep my truck. not looking at new as im loving not having a vehicle payment to much. top dollar for my truck would be around 14k, and ide expect realistically somewhere around 11-12k value. I really want to find a ford Edge to sit in and see how I like them.

I'm replacing the fuel pump driver module first, seems that they are problematic and an easy 60 dollar fix. I bought the truck from someone who was picky about maintenance so luckily they replaced plugs, fuel filter. I've been thinking about replacing all the coils as I'm at 146,xxx miles. Love the truck.

I'm replacing the fuel pump driver module first, seems that they are problematic and an easy 60 dollar fix. I bought the truck from someone who was picky about maintenance so luckily they replaced plugs, fuel filter. I've been thinking about replacing all the coils as I'm at 146,xxx miles. Love the truck.

oh yeah, forgot about that. I did mine also awhile ago. hopefully you still have the tools with the jack kit so you can let your spare tire down to get at it. I didn't (my hook end part of the kit was broken) and lets just say I had a fun time getting the spare off lol!! I now have no spare tire carrier underneath my truck and once I get around to fixing the leak in my spare, it will just be thrown in the back of the truck and secured with a chain/lock lol.

my coils appeared to be stock. so if they were, they made it 170k before they started failing. replaced 2 coils a few months ago (with crap duralast ones). and ive always been told when one of your coils go, the rest are sure to follow shortly. and it looked like that statement was true lol,

Did better than I did...

Still not fixed.

Im in the same place as you. Luckily mine is just a burnt valve on a 350 Chevy so it SHOULD be a cheap fix. It'll be my luck when I tear into it I'll have a cracked piston or something.

Back
Top Bottom