Sous Vide Cooking

napp

Default rank <3000 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
45   0
Reaction score
Guess I've been living under a rock. I just found out about this method of cooking. Anybody here used the system; or eaten food that was cooked this way?

Seems like you could just seal up a steak with a food saver and then drop it in the correct temperature water?

That's exactly what it is. However, the key is that you need some means of keeping the correct water temperature constant for the entire length of the cook.

The company I work for remodels cafeterias in hospitals and colleges throughout the nation. We do these for Morrisons (if you're old like me you remember going to Morrisons cafeteria in the mall). Any way, I toured their main kitchen in Maryland and this is how they cook all there meats. The oven is about 20' x 20' and fills with water, the water is heated to the correct temp and the meat cooks for 24 hours. They drain it then fill it with water that is right at freezing. Then ship them out.

The company I work for remodels cafeterias in hospitals and colleges throughout the nation. We do these for Morrisons (if you're old like me you remember going to Morrisons cafeteria in the mall). Any way, I toured their main kitchen in Maryland and this is how they cook all there meats. The oven is about 20' x 20' and fills with water, the water is heated to the correct temp and the meat cooks for 24 hours. They drain it then fill it with water that is right at freezing. Then ship them out.

Oh yea I forgot, I had to sign a waiver stating I would not repeat what I saw, so don't tell anyone. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom