Somebody made a boo-boo.

I don't buy the "distributor issue" if it was just ammo maybe but it was spread across firearms, ammo, optics, gear, etc... I think they f'd up and that was just the excuse.
The website links his business to multiple wholesalers entire live inventory. Each of those wholesaler carry a wide range of firearms ammo and accessories. Glitches like this happen all the time. They're just usually caught before news spreads across social Media. Once that happens it's a cluster ****.

I had to restore the entire catalog of product data for every product on every planogram in the system at Southeastern Grocers one day. My friend somehow crashed every record in the database, about 220,000 SKUs, he had no idea how to recover the data.

I did it in about 20 minutes and no one ever knew the system was trashed.

Yeah, I ordered 300 cases of pineapples that day, and you guys stiffed me!

More seriously though, St. Barb's site had those prices live for HOURS. Operationally, that's a real fail. It's not like trapping and spotting behavioral changes on commerce sites is difficult. I've made a living from designing and implementing systems for most of my working life, and these kind of commerce sites never seem to get any better.

As Fatal_Bert Fatal_Bert says, this kind of thing happens all the time, and sometimes, when we see problems with a website, it's often a distributor issue, that was why very early in the chain, I wondered if this was being seen on other sites.

More seriously though, St. Barb's site had those prices live for HOURS. Operationally, that's a real fail. It's not like trapping and spotting behavioral changes on commerce sites is difficult. I've made a living from designing and implementing systems for most of my working life, and these kind of commerce sites never seem to get any better.
That I can definitely agree with.

As Fatal_Bert Fatal_Bert says, this kind of thing happens all the time, and sometimes, when we see problems with a website, it's often a distributor issue, that was why very early in the chain, I wondered if this was being seen on other sites.
You'd think they'd have some type of check on demand spikes that would trigger an alarm.

I put in three orders.

The first, at 9.05AM was order number 100331
The third, at 10.05AM was order number 100362

I expect that their ordering system started at 100000.

That means in an hour, they recieved just about 10% of their total sales since they started using that system. That would be astounding enough that alarm bells should ring, even if they only started using that order processing system on March 1st.

Total value of orders will have gone thru' the roof, of course. Another reason you might want alarm bells ringing.

Sleuthing aside, and thinking more about it, it's quite possible that St. Barb's themselves can't even monitor the business realtime. Take a look at sites like the ones that appear on wikiarms.com. Notice how similar they are?

Don't get me started on Gun Genie and how pervasive its e-commerce UI is. I suspect that FFLs who sign up for Davison's Gun Genie have very little control over or monitoring ability of their sales thru' the interface.

I never thought I was going to get almost 3800 rounds for 1.89. Would have been nice to see a 10$ card, but I didn't think that was going to happen either. It was fun however.

While I don’t feel like I’m owed anything a $10 or even $5 gift card would be a genius marketing move. They just got a lot of new eyes and enticing them to buy and display quality customer service would be a profitable move.

Website layout screams dropshipper and I’m sure one of their suppliers is to blame for the whole mess. Judging by the items discounted my guess would be RSR

Back
Top Bottom