• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Somebody made a boo-boo.

I think actually we performed a public service, and if the email from St. Barb's was being truthful and it was someone at their supplier who screwed up, it just might make their supplier be a bit less cavalier about THEIR distribution process.

And this WAS a process error. Someone uploaded incorrect data into their pricing and inventory system, and either NOBODY checked it despite there being substantial commercial risk, or someone DID check it and ALSO screwed up, and the data updated numerous downstream systems.

You expect this kind of lousy process control of government departments, children and businesses who really aren't thinking about anything other than raking money in.

In this particular case, the problem was contained by a set of Terms and Conditions that permitted the company to void the contract, but really, there's no good excuse for being sloppy bastards and needing to fall back on them in the first place.

I think actually we performed a public service, and if the email from St. Barb's was being truthful and it was someone at their supplier who screwed up, it just might make their supplier be a bit less cavalier about THEIR distribution process.

And this WAS a process error. Someone uploaded incorrect data into their pricing and inventory system, and either NOBODY checked it despite there being substantial commercial risk, or someone DID check it and ALSO screwed up, and the data updated numerous downstream systems.

You expect this kind of lousy process control of government departments, children and businesses who really aren't thinking about anything other than raking money in.

In this particular case, the problem was contained by a set of Terms and Conditions that permitted the company to void the contract, but really, there's no good excuse for being sloppy bastards and needing to fall back on them in the first place.
I have a difficult time believing that even with integration, a retailer would allow/enable a distributor to post a price on their website. That's just crazy.

I don't buy the "distributor issue" if it was just ammo maybe but it was spread across firearms, ammo, optics, gear, etc... I think they f'd up and that was just the excuse.
Someone screwed the pooch in their own available inventory database of online product offerings. It had nothing to do with any distributor.

I don't buy the "distributor issue" if it was just ammo maybe but it was spread across firearms, ammo, optics, gear, etc... I think they f'd up and that was just the excuse.

That's why I think it *was* a distributor issue. The errors were so widespread that a single human at a podunk little web retailer would have been hard to manage. That error looks far more like an upstream system screwing up their inventory and pricing system.

No matter which way, someone learned some hard lessons today. And it wasn't us.

That's why I think it *was* a distributor issue. The errors were so widespread that a single human at a podunk little web retailer would have been hard to manage. That error looks far more like an upstream system screwing up their inventory and pricing system.
I had to restore the entire catalog of product data for every product on every planogram in the system at Southeastern Grocers one day. My friend somehow crashed every record in the database, about 220,000 SKUs, he had no idea how to recover the data.

I did it in about 20 minutes and no one ever knew the system was trashed.

It was fun and I think we all knew how it would end, but it was a fun thread.

In hindsight, I’m a little ashamed. Fatal_Bert Fatal_Bert was right. Had that gone the way of the miracle, someone would’ve had to pay the price. Glad nobody is headed to skid row due to our opportunistic natures.
Meh, I don't mean to shame anyone. I could just see this happening to me very easily. Which would be fine because it's covered by the basic terms and conditions. Would just have to roll my eyes to all the yOU jUsT lOsT a pOteNtiAl cuStOmEr because you didn't gib me free stuff emails :lol:

Back
Top Bottom