• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Solar power for home

Don't keep us in suspense, what's wrong with the batteries?

The home is over 30 years old, it just had a full scale remodel and a garage is being built ( that's the new building) but, I did have the crawl space in capsuled, add installation throughout, brand new doors and windows. I won't be going the DC appliance route, as the appliances are already installed.

Solar wasn't on the list until I realized not only do I have room ( I don't want it on the roof ) but the cost would be offset by a power bill and the entire house is on power now.

Originally, I just going to install a whole house generator but a house this size, pulling the kinda power it does, pushed the generator over the $10K threshold and solar caught my eye.

If I'm reading everything correctly. Solar will be about $30K in up front cost, with a 28% tax break the year of installation. It will also reduce or eliminate the power bill. I'm not sure if the new power company allows feedback to them but if so, then maybe that will be another added feature.

If my math is mathing right. Solar would actually break even in 10years and then be profitable.

A back up generator would never actually recoup its cost.

My short opinion is - yes, it is worth having installed. I plan on doing the same myself.

As someone who has researched solar extensively for an RV application, I have to agree with Dink that the batteries are currently the weak link. Scaling it up to home sizes would be tremendous. Last time I looked, I was $30K into just enough to power my RV. The same price for a home seems wishful thinking.

Also, to generate enough power to zero out a power bill in the GA summers is going to require either less AC or an enormous amount of power. Not to mention the maintenance and repair/replacement costs of the panels and batteries when they do (and they will) go bad. You'll be lucky if you make it 10 years before having to replace or repair one of the panels or batteries.

I would only ever consider solar as an intentional off grid option.

As someone who has researched solar extensively for an RV application, I have to agree with Dink that the batteries are currently the weak link. Scaling it up to home sizes would be tremendous. Last time I looked, I was $30K into just enough to power my RV. The same price for a home seems wishful thinking.

Also, to generate enough power to zero out a power bill in the GA summers is going to require either less AC or an enormous amount of power. Not to mention the maintenance and repair/replacement costs of the panels and batteries when they do (and they will) go bad. You'll be lucky if you make it 10 years before having to replace or repair one of the panels or batteries.

I would only ever consider solar as an intentional off grid option.

I can't say for sure but solar forums seem to have an average $30K to $40K whole house set up.

I'd be surprised to spend $30K on solar just for an RV... I couldn't even see $10K for an RV set up unless you are running an older 50 AMP RV set up...

You are right about the AC for 4 months out of the year, however the other 8 should cover the 4 months of AC. SHOULD being the word there.

I'm not trying to be off the grid, but be able to be if forced too. Given the house has lost power a few times in the last few months ( not sure on how long power was out, just that it was out)

Hoping that solar would "pay for itself" over time. I'm fully prepared for maintenance costs and updates/upgrades to the system. Any back up power will have that.

For those that have had issues or talk with some that have had issues, what brand of solar was used?

Any other details?

I can't say for sure but solar forums seem to have an average $30K to $40K whole house set up.

I'd be surprised to spend $30K on solar just for an RV... I couldn't even see $10K for an RV set up unless you are running an older 50 AMP RV set up...
It could be that RV solar equipment is more a niche market and maybe the prices are higher because production volume is lower? I don't know...but I do know that between panels, racks for the panels, charge controllers, inverters, batteries, and 12v AC systems and appliances where possible; I had almost $30K spent. To be fair it was mid to high twenties, but you get the idea.

You are right about the AC for 4 months out of the year, however the other 8 should cover the 4 months of AC. SHOULD being the word there.
The thought being that the power company would buy the excess energy the other eight months and that would offset the 4 where you were running the AC? Yeah...maybe. Like you said "should" being the operative word.

I'm not trying to be off the grid, but be able to be if forced too. Given the house has lost power a few times in the last few months ( not sure on how long power was out, just that it was out)
When I said off-grid I meant in terms or a cabin or something on a property where getting power was either impossible or cost prohibitive. If I'm in civilization and there is a power grid in place? I'm using it. Generator for when I'm not.

Hoping that solar would "pay for itself" over time. I'm fully prepared for maintenance costs and updates/upgrades to the system. Any back up power will have that.
You are correct when you say that any back up power will have that. But replacing a new battery bank every ten years is infinitely more expensive than buying a new generator every twenty. If you even ever have to buy a new generator. Think about how often you replace the battery on a vehicle. Then realize that solar, li-on battery is about four time the cost of your average car battery - and then realize that you have to replace 12 of them every ten years. Not to mention if a panel dies or gets hail damage or any number of other things.

Whatever you decide, best of luck.

I have an extensive solar set up. Too long to go into here but you can pm me.

Short answer, get the panels with the built in inverters and skip the battery bank then get a back up generator with a 1k gallon tank. Should keep you off grid for a darn long while with judicious use of power at different times.

Short answer, get the panels with the built in inverters and skip the battery bank then get a back up generator with a 1k gallon tank. Should keep you off grid for a darn long while with judicious use of power at different times.
Interesting. So you just run straight solar into the house and generator at night or cloudy days? How often do you have to fill up the tank?

It could be that RV solar equipment is more a niche market and maybe the prices are higher because production volume is lower? I don't know...but I do know that between panels, racks for the panels, charge controllers, inverters, batteries, and 12v AC systems and appliances where possible; I had almost $30K spent. To be fair it was mid to high twenties, but you get the idea.

The thought being that the power company would buy the excess energy the other eight months and that would offset the 4 where you were running the AC? Yeah...maybe. Like you said "should" being the operative word.

When I said off-grid I meant in terms or a cabin or something on a property where getting power was either impossible or cost prohibitive. If I'm in civilization and there is a power grid in place? I'm using it. Generator for when I'm not.

You are correct when you say that any back up power will have that. But replacing a new battery bank every ten years is infinitely more expensive than buying a new generator every twenty. If you even ever have to buy a new generator. Think about how often you replace the battery on a vehicle. Then realize that solar, li-on battery is about four time the cost of your average car battery - and then realize that you have to replace 12 of them every ten years. Not to mention if a panel dies or gets hail damage or any number of other things.

Whatever you decide, best of luck.
The RV cost kinda makes since now, but I guess I would have thought it wouldn't be a niche market and more common or at least as common as a thing in the RV world. I mean, to me, I would see more of a reason for RV to have solar, but I don't RV so IDK.

Batteries have been getting better, especially with the EV vehicle market picking up. I know batteries go bad but so does a generator and usually a whole house generator has a battery start.

For those that have had issues or talk with some that have had issues, what brand of solar was used?

Any other details?
As a guy who builds rvs for a living and does a lot of solar you'd absolutely be surprised. I just did a 600 amp setup with 5k just being the batteries.

The RV cost kinda makes since now, but I guess I would have thought it wouldn't be a niche market and more common or at least as common as a thing in the RV world. I mean, to me, I would see more of a reason for RV to have solar, but I don't RV so IDK.

Batteries have been getting better, especially with the EV vehicle market picking up. I know batteries go bad but so does a generator and usually a whole house generator has a battery start.
50 amp 30 years ago or today is still 50 amp. Wont make a difference. Rv setups are really pricy due to space and components Full vectron systems are stupid $$$$ but they are the best

Back
Top Bottom