• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Solar power for home

Spas-12 Owner

Default rank 5000+ posts Lifetime Supporter
NRA Instructor and Chief RSO
565   0
Reaction score
Trying to figure out if I want to make the jump and investment into solar for my new home.

I'm going with either an entire home generator or solar to have back up options.

Has anyone had or still have solar?

Does it just reduce your power bill or is your system large enough to power the entire house continuously?

Would you purchase it again and if so, what company did you use?

20230907_131445.jpg

I took some renewable energy college courses years ago. It's all about sizing your system appropriately to your needs. Either of the things you mentioned can be accomplished.

But the first step they taught us was to maximize your efficiency with your insulation(total R value for the house - window and door seals, different framing methods to cut down on thermal bridges, crawlspace and attic efficiency... etc) and to buy DC appliances. Solar creates direct DC current electricity so there's no loss in conversion if you're already using that.

There are many different methods to save electricity, solar is only one of them, and not entirely worth it if you don't set yourself up beforehand. But done correctly it is very effective.

Looks like you're building new, so you can take some steps now to make solar work more in your favor in the future.

Green building is best done from the ground up.

Until they improve the batteries, I'm out.

Don't keep us in suspense, what's wrong with the batteries?

I took some renewable energy college courses years ago. It's all about sizing your system appropriately to your needs. Either of the things you mentioned can be accomplished.

But the first step they taught us was to maximize your efficiency with your insulation(total R value for the house - window and door seals, different framing methods to cut down on thermal bridges, crawlspace and attic efficiency... etc) and to buy DC appliances. Solar creates direct DC current electricity so there's no loss in conversion if you're already using that.

There are many different methods to save electricity, solar is only one of them, and not entirely worth it if you don't set yourself up beforehand. But done correctly it is very effective.

Looks like you're building new, so you can take some steps now to make solar work more in your favor in the future.

Green building is best done from the ground up.

The home is over 30 years old, it just had a full scale remodel and a garage is being built ( that's the new building) but, I did have the crawl space in capsuled, add installation throughout, brand new doors and windows. I won't be going the DC appliance route, as the appliances are already installed.

Solar wasn't on the list until I realized not only do I have room ( I don't want it on the roof ) but the cost would be offset by a power bill and the entire house is on power now.

Originally, I just going to install a whole house generator but a house this size, pulling the kinda power it does, pushed the generator over the $10K threshold and solar caught my eye.

If I'm reading everything correctly. Solar will be about $30K in up front cost, with a 28% tax break the year of installation. It will also reduce or eliminate the power bill. I'm not sure if the new power company allows feedback to them but if so, then maybe that will be another added feature.

If my math is mathing right. Solar would actually break even in 10years and then be profitable.

A back up generator would never actually recoup its cost.

Don't keep us in suspense, what's wrong with the batteries?

The home is over 30 years old, it just had a full scale remodel and a garage is being built ( that's the new building) but, I did have the crawl space in capsuled, add installation throughout, brand new doors and windows. I won't be going the DC appliance route, as the appliances are already installed.

Solar wasn't on the list until I realized not only do I have room ( I don't want it on the roof ) but the cost would be offset by a power bill and the entire house is on power now.

Originally, I just going to install a whole house generator but a house this size, pulling the kinda power it does, pushed the generator over the $10K threshold and solar caught my eye.

If I'm reading everything correctly. Solar will be about $30K in up front cost, with a 28% tax break the year of installation. It will also reduce or eliminate the power bill. I'm not sure if the new power company allows feedback to them but if so, then maybe that will be another added feature.

If my math is mathing right. Solar would actually break even in 10years and then be profitable.

A back up generator would never actually recoup its cost.
I have several friends that have fish camps in Northern Maine, they said they have had problems with the batteries and their longevity. They both run solar

Back
Top Bottom