• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

So who all rides motorcycles?????

I finally got my motorcycle put together, after taking way too long to fix two fuel leaks where dry-rotted fuel lines went to the carburetors. And while I had it apart this summer I decided to change the thermostat, which turned out to be a good idea because the old one wasn't fully opening as far as it should (after I got it out I tested it in a pot of boiling water.)

Now this past weekend and Monday I rode it about 150 miles --I saw no evidence of it overheating.

89290426-0DED-42C1-81E6-30E0EB2E1EBB.jpeg

(I did not put the battery cover or the little black plastic triangular cover that goes in between the fuel tank and the forks on the left side,

because I'm about to do some wiring and install a quick connect for a battery tender, and wire in a USB charging port.)

(But I think I'll do that in the winter;
I'm gonna ride this thing as much as possible during the nice fall weather. Stopping to charge my phone at restaurants or gas stations, if necessary.)

I finally got my motorcycle put together, after taking way too long to fix two fuel leaks where dry-rotted fuel lines went to the carburetors. And while I had it apart this summer I decided to change the thermostat, which turned out to be a good idea because the old one wasn't fully opening as far as it should (after I got it out I tested it in a pot of boiling water.)

Now this past weekend and Monday I rode it about 150 miles --I saw no evidence of it overheating.

View attachment 6390968

(I did not put the battery cover or the little black plastic triangular cover that goes in between the fuel tank and the forks on the left side,

because I'm about to do some wiring and install a quick connect for a battery tender, and wire in a USB charging port.)

(But I think I'll do that in the winter;
I'm gonna ride this thing as much as possible during the nice fall weather. Stopping to charge my phone at restaurants or gas stations, if necessary.)
Good deal. Get you an accessory plug in. Then you can charge your phone going down the road

And while I had it apart this summer I decided to change the thermostat, which turned out to be a good idea because the old one wasn't fully opening as far as it should (after I got it out I tested it in a pot of boiling water.)
I'm not an engine surgeon, but boiling water won't exceed 212F. Engine can exceed that, so not sure if thermostat would fully open. :noidea:

The Clymer's manual says that when you test the thermostat in a pot of hot water the water should be heated to a temperature of 203 Fahrenheit, and the valve should be fully open with an 8mm separation (.31 inch)
image.jpg

My old valve only opened 6 mm or a quarter inch, so while it was not worthless it was not working as the Honda engineers intended it to.

I'm not an engine surgeon, but boiling water won't exceed 212F. Engine can exceed that, so not sure if thermostat would fully open. :noidea:

For testing the Engine over-temperature switch (that turns on a red light on your instrument cluster to let you know the engine has overheated) they want you to test that between 190 and 248°F.

Of course not by putting it in
hot water, which as you say
would not get any hotter than 212 F.,

but rather by putting the switch in a pot of hot antifreeze (coolant) mix
and taking it up to a
temperature of 248°F.

Back
Top Bottom