• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

So, bike people

if it truly only has 2500 miles on it then the tires would be new and the chain should look brand new. no brake pad wear etc.

if it looks like it's been ridden more than 2500 miles then it's a gauge swap or it was disconnected.

but IMHO I'd rather have an older bike that's been ridden and well maintained than a bike that's 6 years old and only has 2500 miles on it any day. Bikes that sit if it has a carb (vs. fuel injected) and not stored properly can/will have issues with it running at low rpms, rust in the tank, etc.

If it's a good deal and mileage looks realistic it might be ok but there's no way I'd pay "extra for low mileage".

if it truly only has 2500 miles on it then the tires would be new and the chain should look brand new. no brake pad wear etc.

if it looks like it's been ridden more than 2500 miles then it's a gauge swap or it was disconnected.

but IMHO I'd rather have an older bike that's been ridden and well maintained than a bike that's 6 years old and only has 2500 miles on it any day. Bikes that sit if it has a carb (vs. fuel injected) and not stored properly can/will have issues with it running at low rpms, rust in the tank, etc.

If it's a good deal and mileage looks realistic it might be ok but there's no way I'd pay "extra for low mileage".

Good info. here and don't forget the air cleaner drying out.
I can't tell you how many times I've had to pull the carbs off a bike, because it sat for awhile. Then when it was started it immediately sucked up some air cleaner and stuck it in the main jet.
That and rust in the tank were the most typical problems in bikes that sat for awhile.
If you pull the tank, dump the gas, put some fresh gas in it and count how many big nuts you drop into the tank.
Shake well, shake for awhile and pour the trash out. Repeat until nothing but gas comes out.
(Remember to count how many nuts you put it and take out, to make sure you get them all.

Good info. here and don't forget the air cleaner drying out.
I can't tell you how many times I've had to pull the carbs off a bike, because it sat for awhile. Then when it was started it immediately sucked up some air cleaner and stuck it in the main jet.
That and rust in the tank were the most typical problems in bikes that sat for awhile.
If you pull the tank, dump the gas, put some fresh gas in it and count how many big nuts you drop into the tank.
Shake well, shake for awhile and pour the trash out. Repeat until nothing but gas comes out.
(Remember to count how many nuts you put it and take out, to make sure you get them all.

I used to use Copper BB's and soapy water, just alittle.

a 6 year old is not carb so that will reduce problems. Also newer filters are usually paper type with a screen so also not likely a problem. Depending on the driver tires and be more worn but unlikely for a rider with 2500 miles in six years. Could also be a rider with more than one bike. So many variables. I hope it turns out great and can save that bike from a garage death

I doubt it was a cluster swap. The bike is extremely clean. But I am of the theory that I'd rather have a vehicle that's been driven 15,000 miles a year instead of one that was only driven 1,000 miles a year but has a premium asking price.

I'm definitely gonna ask for records to see if the time frame of records matches mileage.

they are out there. plenty of folks buy bikes and think they will ride but don't. I"ve seen plenty. just some things to make you a good consumer and to consider when haggling.

In the past I have had two R6's. Both I put over 20k miles a year on, between commuting to work (marietta to downtown) and riding in the mountains on the weekend. We'd head out for two and three day weekends pretty often and ride 800-1200 miles. good times.

you can ride sport bikes a fair distance, as long as it's twisty. :) going down the freeway for an hour, IMHO just sucks. really on any bike. I have a road king and a 950 dual sport and I don't like riding on the freeway any distance on either one. Get on the back roads and have some fun. :)

Back
Top Bottom