• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Slide lock - why do you care?

Assuming you're human, the possibility of missing a moving, partially hidden target WHILE BEING SHOT AT might be very real. So needing more than one mag doesn't really strike me as a sign of failure and shame so much as human emotion and desire to not get shot.

If you can't get it done with one...bull ****. People gotta talk trash.

My other thought about a firefight(which, so far I have managed not to participate in), is that counting probably won't be one of the things I want to be making a priority. So hitting the mag follower and locking the slide back are high probabilities. And even if counting was a desirable activity in a firefight, wasting a ready round to dump a non-empty mag ain't gonna happen.

When the slide locks back it is a clear and obvious indication that another mag needs to be inserted. I think when all the blood rushes to your head and thinking is reduced to instinctive and muscle memory, fiddling with partial magazines is just asking for trouble. What was it Mass called it? Tachy Cardia? Loss of fine motor skills and conscious, thought-directed action, replaced by trained(conditioned) response.

Gaming, the answer is 100% clear. Life or death, maybe not as clear for some. I don't carry a reload anyway, so if I run dry I gotta go berserker.

Gotcha. Gaming tactics are wholly different than gun fighting. I'm no expert, but they seem to have limited application in a self defense scenario. Regarding slide lock vs slingshotting the slide, I actually prefer the slide release. It places my weak hand closer to its final position and is more efficient for me. Different strokes for different folks. The slingshot just feels like too many motions for me.

When teaching (in Basic classes) I like to briefly discuss the advantages & disadvantages of all 3 techniques.

My feeling is that many people overthink this.
While my least favorite technique is the slingshot I feel knowing how you & your weapon perform while under heightened physical & metal stress is key.... along w/ owning all necessary stoppage drills are both more important aspects to focus on.

Over the years that I've spent on the range working with people I've come to find that it is a great laboratory.

Things become pretty simple. "It".... whether "it" is a new gun, technique, piece of gear, whatever... either works or it doesn't.

And while the basic fundamentals are the same for everyone some people perform better w/ a technique different than what is their Instructors personal favorite.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom