• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Slide lock - why do you care?

My vote as well...but my weapon of choice doesn't have a slide, so what do I know. The annoying 'click click click' but no 'boom boom boom' tells me mine is empty.

The last time I tested myself with a revolver my accuracy was better then my EEC (G19) but I failed miserably at a speed reload. I mean miserably.

I know how to but I had honestly not practiced in a few years. My wheel guns have become hide away guns and I.very, very rarely carry them.

The last time I tested myself with a revolver my accuracy was better then my EEC (G19) but I failed miserably at a speed reload. I mean miserably.

I know how to but I had honestly not practiced in a few years. My wheel guns have become hide away guns and I.very, very rarely carry them.

My EDC is a 7-shot revolver. If I find myself in a situation where I need more that 7 shots, I feel like I have failed to exercise proper judgement about where I chose to be in the first place. I have used and can use speedloaders...but I am by no means fast. However...I am relatively sure that my first 7 shots are going exactly where I want them to go...something I could not say before I made the change over to wheel guns.

Honestly, if I get to slide lock, I have screwed up. My goal is to either eliminate the threat with what is in the gun, or reload before I go empty. Same thing when shooting USPSA - well at least to the second part.

If I do go empty, I am going to insert the new mag and yank hell out of the slide anyway (if I remember to do it correctly and don't throw my mag(s) halfway across the course on the reload - true story)

So what is the big deal about slide lock?

Are we talking about gaming or a life and death, somebody's gonna die type scenario?

The key is to train, and train properly. Doesn't matter if you use the gross motor skills method (slingshot by hand) or use the slide release, as long as you practice it and practice it properly. You only need one of the 2 methods in your toolbox.......figure out which one works for you, throw the other away and then PRACTICE.

When you get to the second O in your OODA Loop, you don't want a bunch of different options that accomplish the same task. Totally unnecessary and will only serve to slow you down.

Honestly, if I get to slide lock, I have screwed up. My goal is to either eliminate the threat with what is in the gun, or reload before I go empty. Same thing when shooting USPSA - well at least to the second part.

If I do go empty, I am going to insert the new mag and yank hell out of the slide anyway (if I remember to do it correctly and don't throw my mag(s) halfway across the course on the reload - true story)

So what is the big deal about slide lock?

If you run dry and your weak hand is incapacitated you're going to need the slide lock.

most of the time I do not carry any extra mags for my compact semi-auto handgun.
Not even when I'm carrying openly in a belt holster with a tucked-in shirt.

I just don't want the extra weight, and I don't want to wear a "Batman belt" with magazines, a flashlight, a knife, my phone, etc. I want to travel light.

So if I reach "slide lock" it's time to start running or pistol-whipping people !

Let me give you a scenario:
You're in an active firefight, nearing the end of your magazine.
Option A: you tac reload while taking fire and manage to retain the partially expended magazine....It's just 2 seconds or so, not like an even mildly competent marksman on the other end can get off 4-5 aimed shots in that time...right?
Option B: you tac reload and fail to retain the expended magazine...in all likelihood, you managed to burn 3-4 seconds while freaking out and trying to jam the partially expended magazine into a pocket or holder......7-10 incoming shots....one of them is likely to hurt.
Option C: Fire until dry and take ~1 second to eject the spent magazine on the ground, insert fresh, chamber and resume firing.

Under any of those scenarios you are going to go full retard. No reason why in Option C you suddenly become a super cool operator.

And if I am in a shoot to kill scenario and have a reload, magazine retention is not going to happen. So in that scenario, A or B would be preferable. Drop mag, inset mag, continue.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom