• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Sig Sauer $10M Lawsuit - P320 accidental discharge

I read where it states the curvation of the finger (digital pad top digital tip), excessive pressure and inadvertant discharge. Are those not all things based on the operator's actions ? It's not a holster issue, it's a user issue. In my opinion.

It’s a combination. The design of the holster requires the user to exert force against the side of the holster with their trigger finger. So, the user applied the force, because the design of the holster requires you in order to release the pistol. Without the user applying force, you can’t draw the pistol.

If you have a lazy, lackadaisical draw, the Serpa will probably work fine. If you’re a professional, or at least train like you are, then you’re looking at being able to draw and fire an accurate shot at 7 yards in 1.5 seconds or less......consistently. The finger has a difficult time exerting pressure hard and deep enough to active the release on the Serpa, and then getting back off contact BEFORE the trigger clears the holster.

Action is almost always faster than reaction. The finger has to not only activate the release, but hold it there until the handgun has moved upward a certain distance. That upward movement is the ACTION. Now the brain has to realize this, and release pressure with the trigger finger. That release is REACTION.

To make it worse, the trigger finger than has to immediately put that pressure back on in order to engage and prep the trigger. Pressure on, pressure off, pressure back on. This ON-OFF-ON has to occur in around .75 seconds OR LESS in order to make that 1.50 second shot. That’s quite a little ballet of fine motor skills at the best of times. Now, add a little stress to the mix.

Proper training makes it “better”, but cannot fully get rid of it. One of the things that helped change my mind was watching slow motion videos of multiple shooters that were highly skilled with the Serpa drawing at speed. It was an eye opener for me.

If you haven’t read the FLETC study, there’s good info in there.

Back
Top Bottom