• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Sharpening systems...

djocon93

Default rank <3000 posts Supporter
Builder of Guns, Rider of Bikes, Waster of Ammo
127   0
Reaction score
I got spoiled for sharp knives after spending a few years working for a boss who owned a Wicked Edge (the really nice model too) and would sharpen knives for me. I currently use a lansky sharpening system, and while it provides decent results, its more time consuming than I would prefer and the constant rotation of the system to change sides of the blade is cumbersome.

I know the Wicked Edge systems are FANTASTIC, but right now that's just far too expensive for my budget. Looking at possibly getting a worksharp ken onion edition for my daily use knives and going back to the lansky for my nicer blades. After reading reviews online some people seems to dislike the worksharp due to the convex bevel and how easy it is to round your tip.

So my questions are:

What is your personal experience with the aforementioned systems?
What system is your favorite for a (relatively) quick, hair popping, shaving sharp edge?

I have one of the ken onion/worksharp systems. It does a good job and puts a shaving sharp edge on that seems to be more durable than regular stones or jigs.

First time sharpening can take 10 or 15 minutes since you're re-contouring the edge but after that, touch up is easy. I can see how it would be easy to round off the tip if you used it like a a belt sander but if you follow the instructions and videos it does a good job.

IMO it is better suited to drop, clip points, kitchen knives etc. Tanto would be a challenge on it and I'm not going to put any of my DE microtechs on it either.

I have one of the ken onion/worksharp systems. It does a good job and puts a shaving sharp edge on that seems to be more durable than regular stones or jigs.

First time sharpening can take 10 or 15 minutes since you're re-contouring the edge but after that, touch up is easy. I can see how it would be easy to round off the tip if you used it like a a belt sander but if you follow the instructions and videos it does a good job.

IMO it is better suited to drop, clip points, kitchen knives etc. Tanto would be a challenge on it and I'm not going to put any of my DE microtechs on it either.

Owned my Ken Onion Worksharp for 3 years now. Even met Ken at the last Blade show here in town. It is by far the easiest and fastest way to sharpen knives that I’ve found. I’ve used many different stones, steels, Lansky, etc and this is the best by far. Like No Clever Name said, watch the videos and pay attention and you’ll be fine. I wouldn’t put my Emerson Super CQB7 on it, but everything else I own is hair popping sharp. Can’t stand a dull knife.

I've tried a few different systems and here's my experience:
- Gatko (similar to lansky), tried this many years ago and never really liked it. Primary issue I had was I could not get it to hold the blade secure enough.
-Spyderco Sharpmaker, Used this for awhile and really like it. Great for my pocket knives but not an option for longer knives.
-Worksharp, used this as an option to sharpen kitchen knives and it works well but will round the tip if you're not careful but it's totally avoidable. In contrast to the Sharpmaker I did not think this worked well for my pocket knives. I was not comfortable removing the guide and with the guide I could not get the knife plunge deep enough to sharpen the heel of the edge. Convex blade angle was fine
-TSPROF (outdoorsman kit), This is a pretty expensive option but works well with all knife styles and is pretty easy to use. Bought this for its versatility and to better control the edge on my better on knives.

I've been able to get really good edge with all of the above systems. Worksharp is the fastest from dull, sharpmaker is nice for a quick touch up on the lower end/easier to sharpen steels, and Tsprof is great for changing angles or really dull knives. Really the only system I don't use anymore is the Gatko.

I had the same dilemma as you a few years ago. I came to the conclusion that I would be disappointed with the results from anything other than a Wicked Edge. That said, I just made a plan and saved till I could get the setup I wanted. I have not been disappointed and have no regrets.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Wicked edge for me, actually sold off a higher end knife to fund it several years ago and haven’t regretted it for a second. Used stones for a while, but nothing replicated the mindlessness of the WE. Perfect, hair popping mirror edges every time. Worth every penny.

Thanks for the info guys! I liked the results of the wicked edge but the most expensive knife in my collection is my $130 griptillian so it's hard to justify a sharpener that's 6 time more expensive than my nicest knife and worth 2-3 times my whole collection. Those of you that have a WE, what version do you have?

Thanks for the info guys! I liked the results of the wicked edge but the most expensive knife in my collection is my $130 griptillian so it's hard to justify a sharpener that's 6 time more expensive than my nicest knife and worth 2-3 times my whole collection. Those of you that have a WE, what version do you have?
https://wickededgeusa.com/products/pro-pack-ii?variant=8212343521369

This is what I have and I have added other stones and accessories to it as well.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom