• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Sharpening systems...

That's the one my boss had I believe. Like I say, I like it but when most of my blades are relatively inexpensive edc knives it just feels hard to justify. $900 in sharpening supplies for a couple $50-$100 knives feels a bit like buying silver bullets to shoot through a highpoint. Haha

I have the Lansky 5 stone system with the C clamp. It's around $65 total. It's not expensive, and it pretty awesome.

Link to System
Link to Clamp

This guy's video is a must see for understanding how to use it.

That's the system I use now. It works ok, but it's extremely time consuming, and while it gets my knives sharp, they aren't hair popping sharp like the WE system produces. Which I would be fine with if it were quick and easy like the worksharp, but if I'm going to spend 20-30 min sharpening a knife I want it to be RAZOR sharp which I've never really gotten on the lansky.

That's the system I use now. It works ok, but it's extremely time consuming, and while it gets my knives sharp, they aren't hair popping sharp like the WE system produces. Which I would be fine with if it were quick and easy like the worksharp, but if I'm going to spend 20-30 min sharpening a knife I want it to be RAZOR sharp which I've never really gotten on the lansky.
Well, like you posted. You can always shoot silver bullets through a Hi-Point. Good luck finding something.

I build guitars and sharpening blades was one of the first things covered in school so I've tried everything from simple wet dry paper on glass to $1000+ sharpening systems. I have a full Tormek system that I use if I want super quality on the edge, hollow grind. The past year or so though for knives I've been using a Worksharp. They are pretty reasonable, very quick to use and reliably give me shaving sharp results.

as Spider John Koerner said in his song "rent party rag" ......."they's all kinna ways ispose".

For general use, a quality combination india/hard arkansas oil stone can be had for $30-$50. I prefer Japanese water stones. A combo 800/1200 grit finished with a 2000 grit, followed by a leather strop charged with jeweler's rouge will put a scary-sharp blade on a fine grain tool steel knife. Bear in mind that one really cannot sharpen any steel well if the grain size of the steel is larger than that of the abrasive being used.

Do yourself a favor, buy a good set of Japanese whetstones and learn how to use them. I bought these years ago and gave up for a while.

I bought a 1"belt sander, that worked ok. I have a Ken Onion work sharp. It works pretty good. As well as the lansky and a couple other systems.

I made up my mind I was going to learn how to sharpen old school.

When I first started, I cut a block of wood on my miter saw at 18 deg so I would learn the muscle memory of that angle. Then slowly work the blade until you get an even bur on 1 side. Then repeat.

I cheated a little and made a leather wheel for my bench grinder that I put jeweler's rouge on.

The other wheel is a piece of mdf that has rouge on it that I use to touch the edge up with.

I use my knives, I'm in the cabinet business, and I find that I have to reprofile about once a year. I use the mdf and leather wheels for touch up.
20201018_153303.jpg
20201018_153527.jpg

It is time consuming but you have to purchase the finer polishing stones, it will leave a mirrored polish razors edge. I strop mine on a leather strap afterward

Back
Top Bottom