• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Seeking help with stuck scope mount screw

sambo77

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
141   0
Reaction score
Alright fellas, I'm in a bit of a pickle. I bought a rifle off here a few weeks ago, went to pull scope mount off and the acrew heads were rounded over, I ended up having to drill off the head of rear screw to get the mount off. Doing so left me with the threaded part of screw stuck, I have tried applying heat, notching a slot with my dremel for a flathead, pliers, pb blaster to no avail. Is there a gunsmith anywhere near monroe who could help me out with this? I figure the next step is drilling it out and re threading it. I assume the being on there for 30 years is what contributed to it seizing up.
IMG_20230814_201355_01.jpg
20230814_200946.jpg

A machinist can get it out no problem. Atlanta Rifleworks in Loganville cam get it out as well.

Have you tried just grabbing it with QUALITY pliers? I'd heat it with a soldering iron and give it another go. With it sticking out as much as it is, you should be able to get it out at home.

Do you have a drill?

Left handed drill bits can be your best friend in getting out screws and bolts, but be very careful with extractors. They can be your enemy if the correct type is not used. Personally I avoid extractors at all cost. I also would prefer that someone had not already been trying to remove one before they bring it to me.

A machinist can get it out no problem. Atlanta Rifleworks in Loganville cam get it out as well.

Have you tried just grabbing it with QUALITY pliers? I'd heat it with a soldering iron and give it another go. With it sticking out as much as it is, you should be able to get it out at home.
Bet heat and a good set of vice grips would do it.

Soak it with PB Blaster over night. Then take heat to it. Grip it with a good set of vice grips ( not Harbour Freight ones ) after you heat it. That should fix your dilemma. It will help if you focus the the heat on the receiver around the screw so it will slightly expand. Don't heat till it glows by no means. Just enough to expand the metal around the screw just slightly. Work the screw back and forth. That tends to help immensely. It has always worked for me.

Back
Top Bottom