• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Savage model 12FV Varmint Rifles for $319.99.....at Cabela's

HOLY CRAP!

Got my 223 M12 FV to CMP today to brake it in and see what it will do.

These are the first three shot groups I fired with it. I was still doing brake in and had done single shots and clean five time. The barrel was incredibly dirty coming from the factory and it took about a half hour of brushing and patching before I ever fired the first shot.

The first round of each group was with a clean barrel, which is pretty extraordinary because normally there is a POI shift after the first round on a clean barrel.

First group measured 0.157 MOA.
View attachment 1366280

Second group was 0.35 MOA. Yes, I moved the windage adjustment in the wrong direction. :doh:
View attachment 1366282

I forgot to take a pic of the third group, but it measured 0.236 MOA.

Fourth group is 0.275 MOA.
View attachment 1366283

Fifth group is 0.236
View attachment 1366287

These are not hand-loads. They are with Hornady 55 grain V-Max, which also happens to be what I run in my AR15. Very convenient!

That is an average group size of 0.2508 MOA. This is a legitimate quarter minute rifle. Not to shabby for a rifle that only cost $220. May be the best money I ever spent.
Wow....wish I would have seen this when it was posted. So it was $319.99 and then another $100 rebate?

Unreal. I picked up a Thompson Center Compass right before this for $200 with a cheap scope and thought that was a deal even though it is a relatively new and unknown rifle. It is pretty accurate and I'm happy with it for the money, but I would rather have had this one!

Unreal. I picked up a Thompson Center Compass right before this for $200 with a cheap scope and thought that was a deal even though it is a relatively new and unknown rifle. It is pretty accurate and I'm happy with it for the money, but I would rather have had this one!

Mine is for sale now for 500.00. LOL

Wow....wish I would have seen this when it was posted. So it was $319.99 and then another $100 rebate?
Yep! Crazy cheap on a hell of a rifle. It's bare bones other than a great barrel and accutrigger. It doesn't even have an external magazine, but with this kind of accuracy that is of little concern to me.

Mine is for sale now for 500.00. LOL
I'm not sure how much it would take to buy mine. You just don't come across quarter minute rifles very often. This is only the second I've owned in my life and the first one was a Remington 700 Sendero in 220 Swift that I paid top dollar for.

That accuracy in the Sendero was also the results of a pains taking process of load development and the rounds were so long that they would not fit the magazine. I typically don't load for the 223 and brought five different 55 grain factory loads to test in this rifle. I now have 4 brand new unopened boxes of 223 ammo that I have no use for. LOL!

I'm not sure how much it would take to buy mine. You just don't come across quarter minute rifles very often. This is only the second I've owned in my life and the first one was a Remington 700 Sendero in 220 Swift that I paid top dollar for.

That accuracy in the Sendero was also the results of a pains taking process of load development and the rounds were so long that they would not fit the magazine. I typically don't load for the 223 and brought five different 55 grain factory loads to test in this rifle. I now have 4 brand new unopened boxes of 223 ammo that I have no use for. LOL!

I would hate for those to go to waste so please just send them to me! :)

I put a Nikon Monarch on mine. Hope to shoot it this weekend.

IMG_2376.JPG

I put a Nikon Monarch on mine. Hope to shoot it this weekend.

View attachment 1366740
I put the Nikon M-223 on mine in hopes the BDC reticle would hold true. That's why all the test ammo was 55 grain. It worked out well. POI at 200 was dead on, at 300 was about 2 inches high, but by the time it got to 600 it was dead on again. I think the BC is a little low on this bullet, but the MV is a little high.

Back
Top Bottom