• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

SA35- what says the ODT?

Not pointing fingers at any member in particular, but threads like this crack me up.

Folks gripe about the price, and state they’re not willing to purchase it unless it costs a certain price……or less.

Many of those same folks gripe because it probably isn’t 100% Made In The USA.

The days when you could have both are long past, folks. If you want quality steel forgings AND an economical price, it more than likely ain’t gonna be forged in the States.

Were any of the BHP’s forged in the US? The FN-stamped ones were forged in Belgium, and the later BHP’s in Portugal.

Around 1993, Browning switched to a cast frame.

Personally, I don’t believe Browning ever forged any frames in the US, but got the forgings from Belgium and Portugal. If so, then why the sour grapes over SAI frames not being forged in the US?

Would you rather have a frame cast in Belgium/Portugal, or a quality forging from somewhere else?

Since currently no one here seems to know where for sure where the frames forgings are manufactured, why the moaning when they never were forged here.
Hi-points are forged in the USA :lol:

'Made in the USA' just means that they are assembled here.
There is actually a category for Assembled in USA and it is different than Made in USA, if you label it Made in USA there is an amount of the materials that have to be manufactured here, raw materials can be imported other than clothing.

This article I found has a decent breakdown of it.

To be honest I'm not an SA fan, but that's more about the cr@p they pulled in IL a few years back than any issues with their products.

I liked my M1A and XDS well enough, and it sounds as if their 1911s have always been a quality product no matter where the parts were sourced from.

I guess my only real complaint is when when people lump them in with real manufacturing companies. They do what they do very well, but you can't call that manufacturing.
It seems that they just opened a 200,000 sf manufacturing/research development facility in Illinois, so I would say you can probably start calling it manufacturing.

I believe FN always made their frames in Belgium but later HP's were "assembled" in Portugal. Probably similar to what SA is doing. "Made" in Turkey or somewhere and "assembled" in the U.S. If some percentage of the finishing is done in the U.S., the country of manufacture can legally be considered the U.S. and not where the forging was done.

FN's cast frames were known to be stronger than their forged frames. They switched to cast frames with the introduction of the .40 cal HP. The forged frames weren't standing up to the increased recoil. They could have made a strengthened forged frame, but it was cheaper to switch to cast.

Good info.

I had heard that about the switch from forged to cast. Cast doesn’t have to mean weaker……Ruger has some hella strong firearms using cast receivers/frames.

It’s similar to how Schmidt & Bender got around the procurement process for scopes for the USMC. They shipped all the parts to Premier Reticle, who assembled them in the US, while installing their own reticle.

It seems that they just opened a 200,000 sf manufacturing/research development facility in Illinois, so I would say you can probably start calling it manufacturing.

Interesting. Still, it could be a larger assembly area and still be called 'manufacturing'. I guess we'll see as it starts to come online.

Too bad they are sticking with IL though. I was hoping they would follow almost everyone else's lead and move to a free state.

Back
Top Bottom