• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Ruger American Ranch in 300BLK

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went back to my gun dealer and worked out a deal trading into the AR style Ruger. I have to say I love it. Wish they had come out with this one first.

Well, after being irritated by the Ruger, analyzing my options for a 300 BLk, and considering that there really is not a good $450 alternative to the RAR, I went to the store and asked the salesman to cycle some rounds through a new RAR in 300BLK with an AR mag setup. It seemed to function well. So, I bought the new model. It works great with factory ammo, and with my hand loaded flat nose 30-30 bullets.

The only reason I took a chance on the newer model was: the old model did everything that I wanted it to do, except, feed properly. I am amazed that Ruger continues to sell the rotary mag version-it can only make for a dissatisfied customer.

Well, after being irritated by the Ruger, analyzing my options for a 300 BLk, and considering that there really is not a good $450 alternative to the RAR, I went to the store and asked the salesman to cycle some rounds through a new RAR in 300BLK with an AR mag setup. It seemed to function well. So, I bought the new model. It works great with factory ammo, and with my hand loaded flat nose 30-30 bullets.

The only reason I took a chance on the newer model was: the old model did everything that I wanted it to do, except, feed properly. I am amazed that Ruger continues to sell the rotary mag version-it can only make for a dissatisfied customer.

I have heard nothing but negative things about the rotary mag .300BLK models. I sold mine right after I got it when I heard about the issues. wanting to try the new AR one as well.

Here is a new tidbit regarding the RugerAmerican’s bolt design.

I dropped mine while struggling to remove it for the purpose of cleaning the gun. The bolt fell onto the concrete floor. It was not damaged, but apparently hit the floor in just the right way to knock the firing pin off of the cocking notch of the bolt. This made it impossible to reinstall into the gun. I had to disassemble the bolt rotate the firing pin assembly back into its proper location. While I had the firing pin out, I polished its rough tip—now, my fired primers do not look ruptured.

The first indication of the problem is the bolt handle position as you try to reinstall the bolt into the action.

Here is a helpful link from another web site:
https://www.gunsumerreports.com/review_ruger_american_rifle_p4.php

Just an FYI.

Many of the rotary mag rifles are easily modified to the AR mag style.
Ruger has replacement magwell that can be easily installed to allow for the AR mags.

That being said, it’s a minor improvement. The bolt is still sloppy as all get out. Nothing smooth about it. It’s a good shooter with a great trigger but Ruger messed up on this one.

Although, there may be a solution that I am not aware of:

I have not seen any Ruger provided solution to their rotary mag fiasco.

The only thing I have seen is after market stocks designed to work with the Short Action 308 size guns and make them able to use Accuracy International mags.

There is, as far as I know, only one solution for the Ruger American Ranch in 223/300BLK, you have to buy a different newer model gun that comes with the AR mag system.

If you have a link, please post it.

I called Ruger, gave them my serial number and they sent me a replacement magwel that excepts the AR mags. I actually got 2 of them. Straight from Ruger.
I’ll see if I can find the receipt with the part numbers from Ruger. I’m not sure if all of them can be changed over but mine could.

I called Ruger, gave them my serial number and they sent me a replacement magwel that excepts the AR mags. I actually got 2 of them. Straight from Ruger.
I’ll see if I can find the receipt with the part numbers from Ruger. I’m not sure if all of them can be changed over but mine could.
Yours is chambered in 300bo and they sent you an adapter to use AR mags?

I have a predator 223 and it seems to function OK but I would really like to be able to use AR mags.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

I think we are talking about two different series of guns. When I started this review it was about the Ruger American Ranch in 300 BLK. At that time the gun was only available with a rotary mag. It did not have a removable mag well, and Ruger said there was no ARmag conversion possible due to the machining of the action.

About the same time: Ruger came out with a new version of the gun that has a removable mag well and comes standard with AR 15 mags.

I gave the rotary mag gun a thumbs down, and traded it. Without starting a new thread, I starting talking about the newer AR mag version, simply to point out that the new AR mag version works great.

From what you are saying I am thinking that the newest version must have the ability to run different types of mags along with the AR mags.

Just to further clarify: Is your gun a Ruger American Ranch chamber in 223 or 300Blackout? As in the pictures below.

The first two models work great, the second two have the rotary mag.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom