• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Ruger American Ranch in 300BLK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Default rank <3000 posts
ODT Junkie!
46   0
Reaction score
Great trigger, accurate with 220 subs. The gun shoots and handles very well.

Terrible magazine—not the AR15 version—this is the rotary magazine version. Rounds often jam when trying to close the bolt—rounds 1,2 and five load okay, round 3&4 jam repeatedly. THE MAGAZINE BROKE AFTER VERY LITTLE USE, it still looks brand new, but the locking tab that holds it in the gun broke off at its hinge point. It is a bad design: made from plastic, does not feed factory ammo 100%, and the little plastic tab is not up to the job.

It you want one of these guns, I recommend the new one with the AR style mags.

In looking for a new mag, I ran across this post from another owner:

http://www.300blktalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=101010

Added: I have continued to try to work with this rifle. The mag design is just terrible, I would not buy any rotary mag Ruger American after experiencing these problems. YouTube and the web forums are full of complaints about the rotary magazine, and full of half baked fixes for the problems. Shameful.

Also, flat point 30-30 type bullets will not feed; it needs a pointed bullet tip to ensure that the bullet enters the chamber as it leaves the magazine. The bullets tend to jump out of the magazine at a steep upward angle. The a flat or hollow point tip will get jammed between the top of the action and the end of the barrel. Longer pointy bullets work best. My hand loads with the 150 grain flat nosed Berry Bullet will not work feed from the magazine. As I said before, even factory ammo will not feed five in a row from these rotary mags.

———————

This fellow thinks that he has the fix, he does not, at least not for mine:

I ordered a new mag from the cheapest place I could find(CDNN), and reported my issues to ruger in the hope that they will send me a replacement as well-they sent two.

The new mag arrived from CDNN and it works just like the old one, it is only good if you only put three rounds in it.

I have updated the post with replacement mag info, and modifications update—all failures.

No word from Ruger, yet.

The one that takes AR mags is on my list, but playing with one in the store last week left me feeling like the quality is crap. There was so much slop in the bolt, maybe grease would help, but it rattled in there. Is yours like that?

Ruger sent me a couple of mags for free. I now have three that are brand new. I bought one while waiting.

Unfortunately for all concerned, the new mags only work properly with three or less bullets loaded into the mag.

So, I still like the gun, and Ruger Customer Service has tried its best to rectify the issue. The mag is simply a bad design that never should of made it past the testing phase. It all reminds me of my 10-22, and my Mark II Competition pistol. Nice guns, none would feed properly until worked on, or after market mags were purchased.

I am having the same issue. Bought 2 extra mags when i ordered gun. Never could get them all to load right feeding out of the mag. One of all 3 worked better than the rest. Well it broke this weekend like yours did. Released teh mag and when it landed in my hand the back shot off of it and the bullets landed in my hand. I would love to trade for an AR mag style soon. I did call Ruger this AM and they are sending me a few more as well. I am sure they will be just like the older ones as well.

Ruger just needs to come up with a different mag design for the existing guns. The new ones with the AR mag are probably a lot better.

Also, flat point 30-30 type bullets will not feed, OTM hollow tip is problematic, it needs a pointed bullet tip to ensure that the bullet enters the chamber as it leaves the magazine. The bullets tend to jump out of the magazine at a steep upward angle. The a flat or hollow point tip will get jammed between the top of the action and the end of the barrel. Longer pointy bullets work best in my gun. My hand loads with the 150 grain flat nosed Berry Bullet will not work feed the magazine.

You are correct. I use the Remington Hog hammer and Hornady American Gunner ammo. They jam 99% of the time. Guess i need to look into what your using. Thanks for the info.

Final note: I got tiered of the mag problems and got rid of the gun......very disappointed in Ruger’s design.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom