• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Roof Triangle - how do you squirrel / wood pecker proof it?

I shoot on sight at my house . They got in the attic in a house on my street and chewed up some wiring and burned the house down.

I also used catch and release traps you can buy from tractor supply. Glue down a pecan or some acorns on the trap trigger. Buy a tub big enough to but the trap in so you can drown them when caught.

Put a bird bath and bird feeder in your backyard with a good backstop. CCI 22 Quiet long rifle out of a bolt action rifle with a good scope with adjustable parallax.

CCI 22 Short HP is a nasty round if you plan to shoot up into the trees. Try to find a bolt action with a 24 inch barrel for this. Good glass or a peep sight is a must.
22 with a can out of a bolt gun is pretty quiet.

My bride and I rented an old farm house for our first home which came fully populated with squirrels in the attic.
I would sit on the end of the front porch, just before dusk, with a single shot 410 loaded with #6 shot and wait for the tree rats to emerge from their playground in the attic to forage for acorns in the oak tree in the yard. I successfully dispatched several before being confronted by the neighbor, who we rented the house from, as to what I was doing. I explained I was solving the problem 1 squirrel at a time and if preferred, they were welcome to contact a professional exterminator to have the squirrels removed, but I could not afford it. I remember the response clearly, "let me know if you need any more shells" :D

1. You can repel squirrels using scents they hate such as capsaicin, ammonia, white vinegar, peppermint oil, coffee grounds, cinnamon, predator urine, garlic, dryer sheets, cayenne pepper, rosemary, and dryer sheets (sometimes work). You can take it a step further by using those repellants in trees nearby. But make sure you treat your house as well, or the varmints will vacate the trees and certainly nest in your house.

*cayenne pepper is great for bird feeders! Birds can't taste it but squirrels hate it.

2. traps

3. DON'T use moth balls. Poisonous to people and pets.

4. Mesh wiring and sealant to close gaps

5. Exterminator to remove any nesting and spray to prevent more.

...... I have so many squirrels in my neighborhood that I could kill
every single one and there will be 10 more tomorrow,
Maybe the new ones were just coming for the 1st one's funeral.
Would have been gone the next day

yardboss1 said:
CCI 22 Short HP is a nasty round if you plan to shoot up into the trees.
Try to find a bolt action with a 24 inch barrel for this.
I have a JC Higgins Model 31 semi-auto which shoots 22 short HP
as well as 22L & 22LR. Has 23.5" barrel. Made in late 1960.

Put a bowl of cat food on your porch every morning. When the local strays start to hang around your house you won't have any more critters in your yard. That's the only thing that fixed my squirrel problem after years of struggling with them.

Back
Top Bottom